Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae and bird poo problems

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae and bird poo problems

Thanks for all the advice in advance.
    I am curious about 2 pool issues and hope it is okay to put in one thread. Here goes.
    1. bird poo everywhere even on the leaf net (thought they would not like the texture and would stay out of my pool but I was wrong ) Since they won't leave my pool alone, can I ever expect to have a OCLT that shows I'm done with the shock process?
    2. After shocking, brushing and vacuuming repeatedly, I still have small very dark clumps that accumulate on the bottom of my pool. Is that probably dead algae? And eventually my vacuuming will pick it all up? The water was cloudy when I started the shock process and after 1 1/2 days the water is looking much clearer. I am still continuing the shock process.
    16 x 28 Doughboy Mystic Garden AGP with 7' deep end (used expandable vinyl liner) ~11,800 gals. Deep end main drain. Thru-the-wall skimmer, one return at deep end. Media Master 150# sand filter. Doughboy PowerPak II pump, 1 hp. Pentair MinimaxCH 150m natural gas heater. Polaris 65 when it feels like working . TF-100 test kit. No longer 'pool stored' 5 years and counting. In sunny but fickle metro-Detroit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae and bird poo problems

You are on the right track, and yes you will pass the OCLT, birds or no birds. Yes, that is almost certainly dead algae raining down on the bottom, though it could also be pollen.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason.
    So bird poo would not give positive CC results?
    16 x 28 Doughboy Mystic Garden AGP with 7' deep end (used expandable vinyl liner) ~11,800 gals. Deep end main drain. Thru-the-wall skimmer, one return at deep end. Media Master 150# sand filter. Doughboy PowerPak II pump, 1 hp. Pentair MinimaxCH 150m natural gas heater. Polaris 65 when it feels like working . TF-100 test kit. No longer 'pool stored' 5 years and counting. In sunny but fickle metro-Detroit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Bird poo still gets all over the rails and some in the pool but....
    PASSED OCLT!
    Now starting the process of letting FC drop to normal levels and adding borates, salt and swimmers.