Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool owner with problem with pressure on return

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool owner with problem with pressure on return

Please help! Purchased a home with a unmaintained pool. It's very green. We have a pool power pak ii pump with a large sand filter. It's an 18ft round pool. We hooked all the equipment up but it appears out psi gauge is stuck at 25 and we have no pressure on the return. Can anyone lend a direction on where we need to start? Please and Thank you!
    Kim...new pool owner with no owners manuals :)
    18ft above ground doughboy pool with power pak ii pump and sand filter approx. 20,000 gal

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool owner with problem with pressure on return

Welcome to tfp, KimberlyPhelps80

Does your gauge go to 0 when the pump is off?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

No it doesn't. On or off it stays at 25.
    18ft above ground doughboy pool with power pak ii pump and sand filter approx. 20,000 gal

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome!

A trip to the hardware store to buy a pressure gauge is in your future. Some teflon tape, too, if you don't already have a roll somewhere in the garage. You still have time, if you're in the Pacific Time Zone! psst - fill out your signature.

Otherwise, I'd say it's time you learn to backwash your sand filter.

You'll still need a new gauge anyway.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Should there be a lot of pressure when back washing too? Because there isn't much but the water is clear when back washing.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, if your gauge worked, it would show pressure, though likely not has high as when you are filtering (not that we know what that is). If your filter being plugged is causing the lack of flow, you should be seeing some darker water come out during backwashing.

It is possible, that a long with the faulty gauge, you have another problem. Are there air bubbles in the pump basket when running? If you bypass the filter (recirculate or bypass setting on some valves) does the flow go up?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

Is water moving through the returns at all? If not check the plumbing and pump impeller.

Your first step is get the water moving. You already found out your gauge is bad given above observations. That gauge should be just finger tight with Teflon tape.
    18x36 inground vinyl lined, Hayward sand filter and tablet chrolinator, approx 18k gallon

8. Back To Top    #8

There isn't any air bubbles and pressure did not change when just recirculating.

9. Back To Top    #9

Just idly wondering here... are there any three-way valves on the return line? Maybe it has one of those popeup cleaning systems and you just can't see any flow through the murk? There is water moving in the skimmer, right?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes there is water running in the skimmer... Initially it would empty itself out, fill back up and repeat. We turned it off and added more water to the pool and now the skimmer stays full. I checked all lines to make sure there is water flow. When I was a kid, we had a pool and my Dad used to lean against the return for a little back therapy. So that's what I'm judging ours with now. There is water flow just a small amount of pressure behind it.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by KimberlyPhelps80
    Yes there is water running in the skimmer... Initially it would empty itself out, fill back up and repeat. We turned it off and added more water to the pool and now the skimmer stays full. I checked all lines to make sure there is water flow. When I was a kid, we had a pool and my Dad used to lean against the return for a little back therapy. So that's what I'm judging ours with now. There is water flow just a small amount of pressure behind it.
    Maybe you just have a lot of returns? Or the eyeballs are out of the returns. No way to know what's really happening with a bum pressure gauge.

12. Back To Top    #12

I replaced psi gauge this morning...showing 0 pressure. There is water flow.

13. Back To Top    #13

Showing 0 psi when pump is on? How much flow are you seeing?

14. Back To Top    #14

Is it possibly a 2 speed pump and it is on Low speed?? When I have mine on low it drops to nothing, due to 1" return eyeballs.

24,000 Gallon Vinyl Grecian IG,Triton2 Sand Filter / Pentair Super Flo 1 HP Dual Speed Pump ,
    Stenner Peristaltic Pump Injection w/15 gal drum,Stubbed up supply/return for future solar panels :)
    TF100 Rocks !! Pool School....

15. Back To Top    #15

Shows 0 when pump is on... Only 1 speed on the pump. There is water flow. When I put my hand down in skimmer I can feel the suction. When I put my hand on the return, I can feel the water at minimal pressure. I looked up how to check and see if the impeller was clogged, but fit nervous after removing cover and didnt want to continue. (Not mechanically inclined)

16. Back To Top    #16

*not fit; I got nervous....

17. Back To Top    #17

Pleased to announce that after taking apart the pump and cleaning the impeller (which was completely clogged), we now have excellent pressure between 10 and 12 psi. Able to run our Polaris 65 auto vac/sweeper with ease! Now to just get the water clear

18. Back To Top    #18

Pleased to announce that after taking apart the pump and cleaning the impeller (which was completely clogged), we now have excellent pressure between 10 and 12 psi. Able to run our Polaris 65 auto vac/sweeper with ease! Now to just get the water clear

You've been a member here for mere hours and you've already saved quite a bit of money!

19. Back To Top    #19

Yes I have. A big thank you to you and everyone here offering advice to people like me. . Now any advice on how to get the water clear. Yesterday I put 7 bags of shock and 4 gal of liquid chlorine in the pool to shock it. Now I have a lime green cloudy mess. Able to see about a foot and a half down. Tested the water today and ph is in 8.4 range and chlorine is not even measuring. Should I shock it again?

20. Back To Top    #20

Yes I have. A big thank you to you and everyone here offering advice to people like me. . Now any advice on how to get the water clear. Yesterday I put 7 bags of shock and 4 gal of liquid chlorine in the pool to shock it. Now I have a lime green cloudy mess. Able to see about a foot and a half down. Tested the water today and ph is in 8.4 range and chlorine is not even measuring. Should I shock it again?
    No... you need to carefully read the articles in Pool School first, so you fully understand the shock process.

You probably don't want to use those "Shock" powders, because they contain other chemicals you may not want. If you overdose, you'll lose huge amounts of FC to the sun. Money wasted. But you also need to get it high enough to kill the algae and keep replenishing it.

[center:3lmcopl8][/center:3lmcopl8]