New SWG and Water Balance

Good Evening all,

FC: 9ppm ( due to shock )
    PH: 7.5
    TA - 90
    CYA - 110
    Salt - 4000ppm
    Borates 0 (until I put them in)

Question, Below are the specs stated for TA and CYA. What are the effects if I leave the CYA at 110 with the SWG? The TA I can adjust by lowering the PH and Aerating, but I don't want to dump more water. Well System can't handle that much water churn. Will I run into any issues?

TA 60-80
    CYA 70-80

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: New SWG and Water Balance

It CAN be maintained with astronomical CYA, but it is not easy, nor would I recommend it. Your minimum FC is above the top of the OTO tester. So the color block quick test for FC is useless. The only way to test FC is the FAS-DPD test every day. And if you do get an algae bloom, you'll be buying bleach by the drum, not the gallon to kill it.

You can ease it down a little at a time so you don't overtax the well, or keep fingers crossed and ensure the FC is always above 5 and watch that CC. If it starts climbing, nip it in the bud!

As an aside, rainwater is CYA free, so if you're in some part of the country that actually sees rain in the summer months, divert a downspout into the pool. Maybe into a bucket that can act as a settling basin for the dust it washes in.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

One of the major problems with CYA levels over 100 is that you never really know what your CYA level actually is. The common CYA tests read any level over 100 as about 100, so your actual CYA level could be way higher than you think it is. Without a good idea of what your CYA level actually is there is no way to get your target FC level correct.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Howell, NJ

Have you done the dilution test for your CYA? If not, I recommend doing that so you have a better idea of your actual CYA level.
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.