New to the forum - Starting up - Lots of silt

May 19, 2013
Houston, TX
I read the very helpful sticky about starting up, but I'm afraid my pool may not quite be ready to proceed. Especially since it says to keep the pump running. Couple of issues:
1) It's got lots (LOTS) of silty material - must this all be removed before running the pump?
2) When the pool was almost started up about a year ago, the pump would run for a while and then lose pressure. Is that reason to just replace it?
3) I would like to have new water, but I'm told that if I drain the pool, it can pop out of the ground. Is that true?

The pool is completely green and I think frogs have been breeding in it and it's occurred to me that they have no way of hopping out after, so imagine the worst possible situation. It was never covered and shut down.

Welcome to tfp, cheekynewb :wave:

cheekynewb said:
1) It's got lots (LOTS) of silty material - must this all be removed before running the pump?
Remove what you can, the rest will can be filtered out, or in extreme cases vacuumed to waste.

cheekynewb said:
2) When the pool was almost started up about a year ago, the pump would run for a while and then lose pressure. Is that reason to just replace it?
This could be do to a suction side leak, a vortex sucking air in at the skimmer, or a stuck weir. It probably would not be rectified by replacing the pump. The number 1 place for a suction side leak is the pump basket o-ring leaking.

cheekynewb said:
3) I would like to have new water, but I'm told that if I drain the pool, it can pop out of the ground. Is that true?
What kind of pool do you have? In ground or above ground? Vinyl, plaster, fiberglass?

Start by looking at this post: http://www.troublefreepool.com/turning-your-green-swamp-back-into-a-sparkling-oasis-t4147.html

Welcome! :wave:

First step: fill out your signature so we know where you are, what kind of pool and what kind of equipment you have. Does your equipment include a manual vacuum? A robotic cleaner? A proper test kit?

Second step: get the water circulating. The pump doesn't shut off, right? It just loses prime?

Third Step: read Pool School until you feel like this
dizzy.gif

cheekynewb said:

Yes it can happen. Your pool can float if your water table is high. That is why we tell people that if your aren't certain about whether you have water table issues or not, you should drain the pool in stages.

There is no need to replace water unless you have a high CYA level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.