Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High TA after adding Muriatic Acid?

1. Back To Top    #1

High TA after adding Muriatic Acid?

Hi!
    I'm pretty new here, but have been reading a lot of great stuff on the site. After taking my water to get tested Friday, I was told my TA was pretty high at 180. I added 16oz of Muriatic Acid with the filter running for 4hours. 2 days later I got my water tested at the same place and my TA went up to 200. I asked the guy why the TA went up and he said I wasn't running the filter long enough. Can that be possible? Am I doing something wrong or is it possible the test on Friday was done incorrectly?
    Fridays Test Results
    FAC 5
    TAC 5
    CH 590
    CYA 100
    TA 200
    PH 8
    Thanks everyone!
    10,000 Gal, Plaster, Chlorine, AO Smith 2.0HP pump, Pentair 36Sq Ft DE filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High TA after adding Muriatic Acid?

Welcome to tfp, Plint

Muriatic acid will lower TA not raise it. Yet another reason to not trust pool store advice (or their testing). Take a look at this pool school article on test kits: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...kit_comparison

TA testing accuracy is really only +/- 10% when it is over 100.

If you added high TA fill water between that could also explain the difference.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

It is probable - almost certain - that the pool store tests are wrong.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the quick reply guys! Maybe I do need to invest in a better test kit for my own sanity.
    10,000 Gal, Plaster, Chlorine, AO Smith 2.0HP pump, Pentair 36Sq Ft DE filter.