Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Here, Introduction, First Chemical Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

New Here, Introduction, First Chemical Questions

Used old Aqua Chem 6-way tests strips from smaller easy set pool last year. Just finished filling pool with hose over 2 days and kids hopped in chilly pool to celebrate! Followed rules on bottle and here are results-
    Total Hardness - 0 A Very Low
    Total Chlorine - 1 B OK
    Free Chlorine and Bromine - 0 A Very Low
    pH - 6.8 A Low
    Total Alkalinity o A Very Low
    Stabilizer - 0 A Very Low

Any ideas to get it ready over the next week?
    I am seriously new to this and would love the step by step and cheapest and easiest help from you guys. Also, we only have a Walmart here, so any ideas of what can be purchased from test strips to chemicals would be great.

Thanks, friends!
    18'x48" Intex Ultra Frame AG vinyl, 6,423 gal, Krystal Clear Model 635T Filter pump, "A" filter, installed 5/19/2013, 3/4" foam insulation sheets over tarp

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Here, Introduction, First Chemical Questions

Welcome to TFP!

Purchase a high quality test kit from tftestkits.net. The TF-100 is the best with the Taylor kit running a distant second. Then, read Pool School.

Your pH may be low. We recommend 7.2 to 7.8. You also need CYA, enough to get you to 30. After adding CYA, add enough bleach to attain a FC of 4 (3 minimum). We're pretty much guessing at things until you get a test kit but it is clear that you need chlorine and CYA at minimum.

3. Back To Top    #3

I sure hope that test strip is wrong, because a TA of zero is very bad and suggests that the water is so acidic that it will damage the pool.

You will do a lot better if you get a real test kit instead of just strips. In the meantime, is there any way you can get a second opinion on the TA, perhaps from a pool store?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks! Will order one online right now! I'll post once my #s are taken.
    Test strips were old and said expired last month, but I sure hope it's wrong... that is our drinking water! Sheesh!
    18'x48" Intex Ultra Frame AG vinyl, 6,423 gal, Krystal Clear Model 635T Filter pump, "A" filter, installed 5/19/2013, 3/4" foam insulation sheets over tarp

5. Back To Top    #5

Just ordered better 5 part test kit online! Should be here by 23. Tested water again after adding left over chlorine tabs from last year and it raised my levels a bit. I'll check back in this week. Thanks again for the help, guys!