Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: stains on liner??

1. Back To Top    #1

stains on liner??

I opened my pool back in early april, and even after having it open i still have multiple light brownish stains all around the pool mainly on the bottom close to the walls and some in the middle. I think they are organic and turned my swg on high and shocked the pool but nothing has helped. Is there any chemical i can try to put in the pool to help?? thanks
    27k gallon In ground, vinyle, Hayward aqua rite swg turbo cell15, Taylor K-2006 test kit,Hayward heater, Hayward dex2421 DE filter, Ecco pool pump 2 HP single speed

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: stains on liner??

If they are organic stains, then several days at high FC levels will clear them up.

While organic stains can be brown, they tend to be black, and brown stains tend to be iron stains. You can check for iron stains by placing a vitamin C tablet on a stain for a minute. If the stain clears up in that local area then they are iron stains.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

so if it is iron stains what do you use on them specially seeing they are all over the pool and seem to be spreading?
    27k gallon In ground, vinyle, Hayward aqua rite swg turbo cell15, Taylor K-2006 test kit,Hayward heater, Hayward dex2421 DE filter, Ecco pool pump 2 HP single speed

4. Back To Top    #4

If they are iron stains, you can either live with them or you can do a special chemical treatment to your water to remove the stains and then add a chemical to your pool on a regular basis that will keep the iron in the water instead of allowing it to deposit on the surfaces of your pool.

Here's some information about metal stains in pools. pool-school/metal%20stains

5. Back To Top    #5

so i put a vitamin C tablet on it and it didn't erase it at all. now what do I try? I have already tried shocking the water and that didn't work either

6. Back To Top    #6

What type of pool is it? If it is vinyl, ignore what I am about to say. If you have a chlorine tablet, try holding that on the stain if that removes the stain, it is organic. To get rid of the organic stain, hold the pool at a higher chlorine level for several days, not a one-time thing.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

7. Back To Top    #7

it is in in ground with a vinyl liner i will try the chlorine tablet

8. Back To Top    #8

Check this out for what is possible using the pucks/chlorine to clean a liner:
    suggestions-on-how-to-clean-this-disaster-t59412.html
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

I always thought that using a tablet on a liner risks bleaching it?
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by JohnN
    I always thought that using a tablet on a liner risks bleaching it?
    It does if you leave it there too long. The link I posted mentions letting it sit for 20 minutes and then washing ... even this could be too long in some cases.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

11. Back To Top    #11

so how long should i leave a tablet on there, the pool is obviously full of water not empty, the are very light brown stains but they seem to be spreading? and it is vinyl so is it safe to try it?

12. Back To Top    #12

Put a glove on and try rubbing it on the stain for a few minutes. Or just maintain an elevated FC level in the whole pool for awhile if the stains are widespread.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

OK so I figured out that they are organic stains. I have shocked the pool and kept the chlorine elevated for a while now but soon as it starts to drop they slowly come back. should I try an enzyme chemical to see if that works??

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

kept the chlorine elevated for a while now but soon as it starts to drop they slowly come back
    ????? Only if you are letting the FC go so low that the organisms regrow.

What level of FC are you dropping to. What is your CYA? Why did you decide the stains are organic? They don't sound like it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

15. Back To Top    #15

because when I first shock the pool The stains completely disappear, once the FC comes down to about 6.0 they start to reappear. that is why i think they are organic and CYA is 80

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

Organic stains are VERY unlikely in a pool that maintains 6 ppm FC and 80 ppm CYA.

Do you shock the pool according to the article in Pool School which includes passing the OCLT?
    Dave S.

17. Back To Top    #17

whats oclt?

18. Back To Top    #18

In the Industry

OCLT test is used to confirm you have finished the shock process. You can find how to do it in Pool School.
    Dave S.