Can the pump cavitate?

Jan 23, 2011
Garland, TX
Hello, I replace the 3 of my old valves this spring that were leaking air pretty bad. Now the new issue is that if I move the valve to pull water from the skimmers (2) only seems the pump starts to cavitate, but if i move the valve to pull the water from the main drain there is no issue. When I initially discovered this I though a possible air leak in the system but no air is being pulled into the pump basket.
Has anyone experienced this issue ?

Thanks for the responses , when i move the valve to 100% skimmer there is no water vortex/ tornado though rapid water movement over the flap. The water level is actually a little on the high side.

The pump symptoms are the pitch/ noise of the pump change to a high whine similar to the sound when the pump is priming. No air can be seen in the pump basket lid, and the pressure on the filter drops from about 17 psi to 10 psi. The filter is a 72 sq ft. Nautilus SS.

spongeleg said:
Thanks for the responses , when i move the valve to 100% skimmer there is no water vortex/ tornado though rapid water movement over the flap. The water level is actually a little on the high side.

The pump symptoms are the pitch/ noise of the pump change to a high whine similar to the sound when the pump is priming. No air can be seen in the pump basket lid, and the pressure on the filter drops from about 17 psi to 10 psi. The filter is a 72 sq ft. Nautilus SS.
It's starving. I get that when I vacuum. The hose is just to small to feed the pump.

Any chance one of those new valves isn't opening 100%? No rocks got in the pipe while it was open?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.