Installing a Figure 4 Handrail

May 19, 2013
I’m embarking on installing a return-to-deck pool, figure 4, stainless steel handrail, by myself (DIY project) this Memorial Day weekend. I would like to solicit any tricks of the trade, suggestions or cautions before it’s too late. I have an in ground concrete pool with a concrete cool deck.

Some of my questions are how to connect to the Equipotential Bonding Grid and how large of the decking and dirt should I remove in order to have a safe anchor?

I am leaning toward core drilling the concrete deck with a drill bit just larger than the each anchor's diameter, then bonding each anchor to the concrete using Hilti-H 150 Max-SD Adhesive. I feel it will do the fastening job, but not the Equipotential Bonding. How hard is it to find the existing 8 AWG wire? Is there a trick to finding and connecting to it?

Thanks.

I core drilled and then used a masonry product by Ardex called Feather Edge...sets in 15 minutes I liked it fine and there are many other brands.

Can you find the existing bond wire now?

I did not start any work yet. I only bought the material. This question is part of my preparations to minimize problems once I am knee deep in the project.

Since my initial post, I found information on a high impact polymer that is fully reinforced construction made S?FTRON. They claim it does not need bonding since the exterior is not metal I did not hear of them before. Does anyone have experience with this or a similar product? Could this be a good alternative to the SS rail with bonding?

S?FTRON:.http://www.saftron.com/products/pool/pool-rails.html

A pool company used it in their advertising: http://professionalpoolcareorlando.com/ ... n-orlando/

I am not affiliated with any pool installer or retailer. I am just a DIY guy with no pool installation experience.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.