Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Installing a Figure 4 Handrail

1. Back To Top    #1

Installing a Figure 4 Handrail

Iím embarking on installing a return-to-deck pool, figure 4, stainless steel handrail, by myself (DIY project) this Memorial Day weekend. I would like to solicit any tricks of the trade, suggestions or cautions before itís too late. I have an in ground concrete pool with a concrete cool deck.

Some of my questions are how to connect to the Equipotential Bonding Grid and how large of the decking and dirt should I remove in order to have a safe anchor?

I am leaning toward core drilling the concrete deck with a drill bit just larger than the each anchor's diameter, then bonding each anchor to the concrete using Hilti-H 150 Max-SD Adhesive. I feel it will do the fastening job, but not the Equipotential Bonding. How hard is it to find the existing 8 AWG wire? Is there a trick to finding and connecting to it?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Installing a Figure 4 Handrail

I core drilled and then used a masonry product by Ardex called Feather Edge...sets in 15 minutes I liked it fine and there are many other brands.

Can you find the existing bond wire now?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I did not start any work yet. I only bought the material. This question is part of my preparations to minimize problems once I am knee deep in the project.

Since my initial post, I found information on a high impact polymer that is fully reinforced construction made S?FTRON. They claim it does not need bonding since the exterior is not metal I did not hear of them before. Does anyone have experience with this or a similar product? Could this be a good alternative to the SS rail with bonding?

A pool company used it in their advertising: ... n-orlando/

I am not affiliated with any pool installer or retailer. I am just a DIY guy with no pool installation experience.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

We have been using saftron rails for probably ten years now. Those things are bulletproof. You can hit them with a sledgehammer and you'd never know it.
    25K aggregate IG, Intellipro, FNS48, Polaris 360, PG2000 fiber optic light source