Spa mode and valves

May 19, 2013
New homeowner. I can't for the life of me figure this out. The other day when I turned my jandy PDA to spa mode, the spa continued to overflow into the pool. I found my control valves and tried fiddling with the switches to no avail. They operate one direction or the other by flipping the switch....as long as the pump isn't actively running. I also think I have determined the bottom is my drain valve and the upper is the return. In the current mode showed in the picture, this returns water to the spa as well as the pool and seems to me my functional pool mode. When I hit spa mode, the upper valve rotates 180 clockwise and the bottom remains stationary. If I move the bottom 180 in the other direction, it seems to drain the spa. What am I missing?

Severum

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 50
Is there a pipe that we can't see coming in the bottom of the upper valve?

When the valve(s) rotate, do they rotate completely 180º?

You say"....as long as the pump isn't actively running" will they not turn if the pump is running, even by flipping the switch?

If one is turning and the other is not, then it's running the spa in overflow mode. In order for it to operate in stand alone mode both valves have to rotate completely.

Are there any other actuated valves in the system?

Is there a pipe that we can't see coming in the bottom of the upper valve? Yes third leg on both pipes from what I can tell.

When the valve(s) rotate, do they rotate completely 180º? They both rotate 180 when using the toggle switches.

You say"....as long as the pump isn't actively running" will they not turn if the pump is running, even by flipping the switch? That is right. If my pump is running the switch does not affect the valves at all.

If one is turning and the other is not, then it's running the spa in overflow mode. In order for it to operate in stand alone mode both valves have to rotate completely.

Are there any other actuated valves in the system? None that I can find yet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.