BBB and going on vacation

May 11, 2012
Getting ready to open my pool, once the rain stops and trying to plan ahead for vacation. This will be my first vacation since I started BBB. Since bleach has to be added daily, how do most of you chlorinate your pool while on vacation? Can you use Tri-Chlor pucks and bleach? If so, would pucks be an option while on vacation? What are the dangers of using different chemicals?

Re: BBB and vacation

ksmith710 said:
Getting ready to open my pool, once the rain stops and trying to plan ahead for vacation. This will be my first vacation since I started BBB. Since bleach has to be added daily, how do most of you chlorinate your pool while on vacation? Can you use Tri-Chlor pucks and bleach? If so, would pucks be an option while on vacation? What are the dangers of using different chemicals?

I've left mine for 10 days so far last season, I use a stenner pump with a 15gal drum of 12.5% chlorine, with my consumption rate I can get by for 3-4 weeks so long as my other equipment has no issues, and maybe have someone stop by to take a look to be sure all is operational...and of course I would have to be able to get that much time off of work first :grin:

Sent from my DNA using Tapatalk

ksmith710 said:
I shock the pool and cover it with my solar cover. This cuts down on evaporation and UV destruction of the chlorine. For more than a weeks time, I will have a friend stop by and add a jug of bleach. Longest ever was 11 days.
If neither of those are an option for you, yes, just use pucks.

Once chlorine is added to your pool, in various forms, it's all just chlorine. Doesn't make a difference if it comes from pucks or liquid - does the same thing once it's in there.

Note - if you do go the pucks route - make sure your PH and TA are at the upper end of the recommended range before you go because they are acidic and cause both levels to drop.

frustratedpoolmom said:
ksmith710 said:
I shock the pool and cover it with my solar cover. This cuts down on evaporation and UV destruction of the chlorine. For more than a weeks time, I will have a friend stop by and add a jug of bleach. Longest ever was 11 days.
If neither of those are an option for you, yes, just use pucks.

Once chlorine is added to your pool, in various forms, it's all just chlorine. Doesn't make a difference if it comes from pucks or liquid - does the same thing once it's in there.

Note - if you do go the pucks route - make sure your PH and TA are at the upper end of the recommended range before you go because they are acidic and cause both levels to drop.

Do you run your pump while gone? I'm switching to BBB this year and starting to plan right now for when I'm gone this summer for a week. Thanks!

There's a ton of ideas if you try the search box.

Probably too many. You'll end up like this:
dizzy.gif

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.