Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: BBB and going on vacation

1. Back To Top    #1

BBB and going on vacation

Getting ready to open my pool, once the rain stops and trying to plan ahead for vacation. This will be my first vacation since I started BBB. Since bleach has to be added daily, how do most of you chlorinate your pool while on vacation? Can you use Tri-Chlor pucks and bleach? If so, would pucks be an option while on vacation? What are the dangers of using different chemicals?
    20,000 gals, 27ft above ground, vinyl liner, 1.5 hayward pump and sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: BBB and vacation

Quote Originally Posted by ksmith710
    Getting ready to open my pool, once the rain stops and trying to plan ahead for vacation. This will be my first vacation since I started BBB. Since bleach has to be added daily, how do most of you chlorinate your pool while on vacation? Can you use Tri-Chlor pucks and bleach? If so, would pucks be an option while on vacation? What are the dangers of using different chemicals?
    I've left mine for 10 days so far last season, I use a stenner pump with a 15gal drum of 12.5% chlorine, with my consumption rate I can get by for 3-4 weeks so long as my other equipment has no issues, and maybe have someone stop by to take a look to be sure all is operational...and of course I would have to be able to get that much time off of work first

24,000 Gallon Vinyl Grecian IG,Triton2 Sand Filter / Pentair Super Flo 1 HP Dual Speed Pump ,
    Stenner Peristaltic Pump Injection w/15 gal drum,Stubbed up supply/return for future solar panels :)
    TF100 Rocks !! Pool School....

3. Back To Top    #3

I shock the pool and cover it with my solar cover. This cuts down on evaporation and UV destruction of the chlorine. For more than a weeks time, I will have a friend stop by and add a jug of bleach. Longest ever was 11 days.
    If neither of those are an option for you, yes, just use pucks.

Once chlorine is added to your pool, in various forms, it's all just chlorine. Doesn't make a difference if it comes from pucks or liquid - does the same thing once it's in there.

Note - if you do go the pucks route - make sure your PH and TA are at the upper end of the recommended range before you go because they are acidic and cause both levels to drop.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    I shock the pool and cover it with my solar cover. This cuts down on evaporation and UV destruction of the chlorine. For more than a weeks time, I will have a friend stop by and add a jug of bleach. Longest ever was 11 days.
    If neither of those are an option for you, yes, just use pucks.

Once chlorine is added to your pool, in various forms, it's all just chlorine. Doesn't make a difference if it comes from pucks or liquid - does the same thing once it's in there.

Note - if you do go the pucks route - make sure your PH and TA are at the upper end of the recommended range before you go because they are acidic and cause both levels to drop.
    Do you run your pump while gone? I'm switching to BBB this year and starting to plan right now for when I'm gone this summer for a week. Thanks!
    13,900gal 24'x52" Backyard Leisure Heritage AGP
    20ml All Swirl Flat Liner
    Pentair 1.5hp Pump and 150# Sand Filter System
    Smart Step Ladder w/Smart Light
    TF100 test kit, BBB Baby!

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, I run my pump 24/7 while on vacation. Good Luck
    20,000 gals, 27ft above ground, vinyl liner, 1.5 hayward pump and sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Re: BBB and going on vacation

ksmith,

You can use pucks if your CYA is correct. What is it currently?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

There's a ton of ideas if you try the search box.

Probably too many. You'll end up like this:
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320

13,900gal 24'x52" Backyard Leisure Heritage AGP
    20ml All Swirl Flat Liner
    Pentair 1.5hp Pump and 150# Sand Filter System
    Smart Step Ladder w/Smart Light
    TF100 test kit, BBB Baby!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320

Ha, I am new to the site and I am running into this very same issue right now. In fact, I am feeling exactly like the animation.
    Fred

20'x40' ~33,000 gallon IG vinyl liner pool. Sand filter. Hayward AquaRite SWG ( T-15 cell )
    TF-100 Test Kit and Taylor K-1766 Salt Test Kit