Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: where to buy 5/6 way test kit in canada?

1. Back To Top    #1

where to buy 5/6 way test kit in canada?

cannot find a place to find 6 way test kit with drops... the tft tests does not ship to canada, none on amazon, hth doesn't sell the 6 way in canada. called my pool store & left a message but wont hear back until tuesday with the long weekend and am not sure they will have anything for me either as a small local store.

any suggestions? live an hour from a small city (travelling to next weekend) but 3 hours from any major/large city.

online purchase would be great

thanks
    3,754 gallons of water at 80% capacity, AG Inflatable Intex Pool, Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump 120 volt with 3,785 L/ph flow rate (1,000 gph), Intex Filter Cartridge Type A, Brand new not yet set up pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: where to buy 5/6 way test kit in canada?

Try piscines-apollo.com. Unfortunately, prices are a little higher in Canada.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

thank you very much Jason my husband did some browsing and actually stumbled across this...
    http://www.amazon.ca/5-Way-Test-Kit-4-W ... y+test+kit

i know it is not the taylor kit but do you think it will do for my beginner purposes?

hoping not to spend over a hundred on a testing kit this year.

thanks again!
    3,754 gallons of water at 80% capacity, AG Inflatable Intex Pool, Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump 120 volt with 3,785 L/ph flow rate (1,000 gph), Intex Filter Cartridge Type A, Brand new not yet set up pool

4. Back To Top    #4

No. Do yourself a favor and get the recommended kit. It will actually make learning and understanding easier.

What does your water look like? If you have to follow the shock process, the good test kit will pay for itself in not having to guess or listen to a pool store.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

i am actually just filling now. but i only have an hth 3way test kit for the time being and am nervous without having something to test the cya & ta.

6. Back To Top    #6

Well, with a fresh fill, your CYA is 0. So if you keep track of everything you add that contains CYA and use the poolcalculator, you can have a pretty decent estimate of the CYA. You can not know anything about the TA.

Having the good kit would actually be less stressful since you would know everything and not have to guess.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

awesome, thank you for the advice. i will try that & use the pool calculator until the 6 way arrives

8. Back To Top    #8

Hi Makibree,

Aren't we above the rest (USA) here in Canada... it **** me off so much, not being able or allow to buy stuffs our neibore are buying or suggesting... I found a HTH 6 way test kit avalable at walmart... but... not at walmart Canada ! heah I'll have a friend from USA bring one kit for me... good luck
    12' above ground pool install "inground" - hayward pro-lx serie sp-2295 pump - hayward vari-flo sp704 - 2 x 4' x 20' fafco solar bear panel
    for polar bear living north pole, Quebec city , Canada

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Makibree'sMommy
    cannot find a place to find 6 way test kit with drops... the tft tests does not ship to canada, none on amazon, hth doesn't sell the 6 way in canada. called my pool store & left a message but wont hear back until tuesday with the long weekend and am not sure they will have anything for me either as a small local store.

any suggestions? live an hour from a small city (travelling to next weekend) but 3 hours from any major/large city.

online purchase would be great

thanks
    I just ordered the TF-100 from poolsupplyworld.com. Although they do not ship to Canada, they do ship to US addresses (free shipping!). Here is my suggestion (and I have done this many times in the past). Find the nearest United States UPS store near you and call them up. They will hold packages delivered for a number of days/weeks. Get the TF-100 shipped to that UPS store and cross the border to pick it up once they call you! I hope you live close to the border. If not, you'll need a friend going to the US to bring one back for you.

Speaking of which, who makes the TF-100 kit? Can we not talk to them and get them to distribute in Canada? There are a lot of forum members who are from Canada and follow this sites advice for chemicals. I'm sure they would love to own a TF-100 kit if they could find one in country.

Hope it works out for you.
    JF

13.5k gallons, IG, Vinyl, Hayward C3030 Cartridge, Hayward Tristar 3/4hp single speed, Hayward T-15 SWG, Hayward P4 automation, 234 sqft Solex Solar panels. April 2013 construction, Dolphin DX4 robot, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jets 2.

10. Back To Top    #10

The owner of the forum, Dave, makes the TF100 using Taylor reagents. He can not ship to Canada due to Taylor restrictions.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Aaaaaahhhhhh.

Supplier restrictions. Got it. It's too bad, because it is a really great testing kit...

I'm just happy I was able to get someone from Florida to bring one back for me. Can't wait to see how far off the pool store testing is...
    JF

13.5k gallons, IG, Vinyl, Hayward C3030 Cartridge, Hayward Tristar 3/4hp single speed, Hayward T-15 SWG, Hayward P4 automation, 234 sqft Solex Solar panels. April 2013 construction, Dolphin DX4 robot, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jets 2.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by frenchie
    Hi Makibree,

Aren't we above the rest (USA) here in Canada... it **** me off so much, not being able or allow to buy stuffs our neibore are buying or suggesting... I found a HTH 6 way test kit avalable at walmart... but... not at walmart Canada ! heah I'll have a friend from USA bring one kit for me... good luck
    I suspect this is more about Taylor than our wonderful provincial or federal gov't.
    I inquired here about why they can't ship the TF-100 across the border and I was told it's because Piscines-Apollo has the sole distribution rights in Canada - so I believe that's a Taylor issue.
    Piscines-Apollo test kits are expensive but his reagents are priced very well.

Personally I live on the Michigan border and just had a kit shipped to a UPS depot there, saved qutie a bit.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

13. Back To Top    #13

I think then, we can buy from piscines apollo... they sell it for $123.00 (taylor 2006) but I am sure we pay a lot more than U.S costomers...
    thanks for the infos
    12' above ground pool install "inground" - hayward pro-lx serie sp-2295 pump - hayward vari-flo sp704 - 2 x 4' x 20' fafco solar bear panel
    for polar bear living north pole, Quebec city , Canada

14. Back To Top    #14

Yes, they have exclusive rights to the Taylor stuff in Canada .. and unfortunately, they do seem to have quite a mark-up on the K2006.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by cramar
    I suspect this is more about Taylor than our wonderful provincial or federal gov't.
    I inquired here about why they can't ship the TF-100 across the border and I was told it's because Piscines-Apollo has the sole distribution rights in Canada - so I believe that's a Taylor issue.
    Piscines-Apollo test kits are expensive but his reagents are priced very well.
    Sorry that's incorrect - Lowry & Associates in Newmarket, Ontario is the exclusive distributor for Canada, not piscines-apollo.com.

So it's a Taylor agreement between themselves and Lowry. Has nothing to do with provincial or federal governments, these kits are considered "consumer products" so even WHMIS doesn't (or shouldn't) apply.