Better Late Than Never...

BoDarville

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 5, 2012
DFW, Texas
Upon joining TFP, my immediate desire was to jump in and share what I had learned about BBB with others. I eventually realized that I had not yet formally introduced myself. So, on the eve of my 500th post and with my one-year anniversary of joining the forum coming up, I thought it might be a good idea to take care of that.

Three years ago, we moved into our current house. With DW working at home, we wanted a larger house on a quieter street and, yes, we also wanted a pool. I work out regularly and swimming is a great low impact calorie burner and muscle-toner. DW was primarily interested in a way to escape the DFW summer heat.

Like many of you at one time or another, the first year of pool ownership followed the typical “conventional” experience: Weekly “shocking”, maintaining FC between 1-3 ppm using trichlor pucks, periodic drain/refills to battle CYA (I thought anything under 100 ppm was "good"), running my single-speed pump seemingly endlessly, and liberal use of phosphate removers and algaecides. Must have had a guardian angel when it came to algaecides in that I somehow avoided the copper-based products and at least used PolyQuat 60. While I never had a serious water problem, I was very likely on the brink of having one.

Then I found TFP and the BBB method and have never looked back. If you want to see my before and after BBB results, I invite you to check out this post: http://www.troublefreepool.com/bbb-saved-me-over-1-400-in-the-first-full-year-t54033.html

When I am not at work or on TFP, my hobbies include...
  • • Grilling and barbecuing (yes, the two are technically different)
    • Making homemade NY-style pizza
    • Making homemade sausage
    • Grinding my own burgers from scratch using whole cuts of meat
    • Tailgating at various sporting events and Jimmy Buffett concerts
    • Scuba diving
    • Pool parties and tossing kids around in the pool (they love it)
    • P90X and the Spartacus workout methods, including yoga
    • Classic and high-performance cars
    • Hanging out with “The Guys” watching football games accompanied by good food and cold adult beverages
    • Hosting our annual “Massive Meat” Super Bowl party
With all this eating going on, you see why I need to work out regularly.

As for how I chose my pen-name, BoDarville: Bo Darville was the leading character of the Smokey and the Bandit movies, played by Burt Reynolds. The original 1977 movie is still my favorite to this day (in some ways, I’m still a big kid… even two college degrees will not change that :) ). Bo Darville was a “blocker” for Jerry Reed, who played truck driver Cledus "Snowman" Snow. Darville and Snowman were challenged with driving from Georgia to Texas to get some Coors and return back to Georgia within 28 hours. At the time, Coors was unavailable east of Texas. Local laws prevented it from being sold in many places because it was not pasteurized. The pairing of Burt Reynolds as Bo Darville, Sally Field (Carrie – Bo Darville’s love interest), Jackie Gleason (Texas Sheriff Buford T Justice), and Jerry Reed may have seemed odd on paper. However, these actors are among my favorite celebrities and the on-set chemistry among them simply worked. Although Bo Darville lived on the edge, this is still a family-friendly movie. Also, since it has been quite a while since this film was made, I figured there was a good chance that BoDarville would be an available name on the forum and it was. In case you are wondering, I do not look like the character of my pen-name although I do share some of his traits, especially girl chasing back in the day :mrgreen: and, of course, a tall cold one to this very day :cheers: . I have been told that I physically resemble Vin Diesel and I am totally good with that, especially at my age!

Since this thread would be useless without pics, here are a few...

Pool at night.
[attachment=2:2xxr6g7h]pool_night02.jpg[/attachment:2xxr6g7h]

Close-up of drain 10 feet down
[attachment=1:2xxr6g7h]pool2_reduced.jpg[/attachment:2xxr6g7h]

Homemade sausage
[attachment=0:2xxr6g7h]sausage_reduced.jpg[/attachment:2xxr6g7h]

Attachments

• pool_night02.jpg
    pool_night02.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 141
  • pool2_reduced.jpg
    pool2_reduced.jpg
    348.2 KB · Views: 141
  • sausage_reduced.jpg
    sausage_reduced.jpg
    499 KB · Views: 141
I've just run across this post and wanted to say what a great post Bo! I can't believe it got so few responses. I didn't know all this and it's all very cool and interesting. I read the other one too, and what a savings going to (now) TFPC!! Love the pool, and would really enjoy seeing a good daylight shot of the "whole Enchilada." Very nice!