Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can i install a bleeder...

1. Back To Top    #1

Can i install a bleeder...

Hi all
    I have a quick question.
    Can drill a whole in the top of the pool pump strainer lid and install a thumb screw type bleeder? Would like to drill a hole install the base with a nut and oring on inside and the have a screw which you could turn to relieve the air pressure and allow it to fill with water.

Anyone ever try? Any reason not to?

Thanks Ed

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can i install a bleeder...

Welcome to tfp, hog1340

Why do you want to install a bleeder valve? If there is air in your pump basket, you have a suction side leak and potentially adding another one is not a good approach imo.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

To expound on JB's statement, if you did install one, as soon as you opened it the basket would immediately fill completely with air and the pump would lose prime.

How much air is regularly in the basket?

Fix the suction leak and the air will go away.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

[center:2z3ukzzu]Welcome!

As the others, have stated, no, you can not.

Round up the usual suspects: low water level, stuck weir in the skimmer, loose drain plugs on the
    pump, poor seal on the pump strainer basket, and leaks at the fittings, especially any couplings.
    [youtube:2z3ukzzu]vtSmfws0_To[/youtube:2z3ukzzu][/center:2z3ukzzu]
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm a little confused. When we vacuum we sometimes get water trapped in the pump strainer area. With the pool of we open the lid and water rushes in to fill the pump. My wife had a hard time getting the lid off and back on, so I assumed putting a bleeder in would make it easier for her to refill the pump and allow it to fill all the way instead of still having an air bubble sitting in the lid.
    So can you explain to me how putting a bleeder in would cause air to rush in?
    Even with the pool running if you open the lid the water continues to flow in to the pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by hog1340
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm a little confused. When we vacuum we sometimes get water trapped in the pump strainer area. With the pool of we open the lid and water rushes in to fill the pump. My wife had a hard time getting the lid off and back on, so I assumed putting a bleeder in would make it easier for her to refill the pump and allow it to fill all the way instead of still having an air bubble sitting in the lid.
    So can you explain to me how putting a bleeder in would cause air to rush in?
    Even with the pool running if you open the lid the water continues to flow in to the pump.
    The strainer basket is under negative pressure. Any kind of leak on that side of the pump causes air to be pulled into the pump. There is no air pressure in the pump to relieve, there is a lack of water. Probably from a restriction in the inlet. Vacuuming on a pool with only a skimmer and a large pump can result in a pump starved for water. You can get a plate that will allow the skimmer to draw water around the hose inlet, or you can drill a hole in a standard plate to allow water to bypass the hose as well.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

Hey John
    Thanks for the reply. I like the idea of a hole drilled in the place top allow water through.
    I guess the other option is to put a second inlet in for when vac'ing? I'll do some browsing on the site and see if I can find info on it.
    Thanks all for the help.