Spill over spa leak

May 19, 2013
Hello! I have my pool all ready to go except this week I discovered that my spill over spa is loosing water only while pump is on so my guess is it is loosing on return. I have read a few comments about value check. What is that? I have no visible leaks it just looses water when in spa only mode help please. I don't want to dig!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Check valves only allow water one direction ... they are suspected when the spa water drains down to the pool level when the pump is off.

If you are only losing water when in full spa mode with the pump on, that certainly does point to the something leaking on the pressure side.

Are you sure that the return valve is fully set to spa and that you are not actually returning some of the water to the pool, thus emptying the spa?

If it only leaks when the pump is on, it sounds like the valves are misadjusted so you're drawing more out than you're putting back in. That's always been my big fear, and I finally stopped fiddling with it and keep the spa suction closed unless I'm actually using the spa as a spa. There's enough water exchange just from having about 25% return to the spa.

Thanks for everyone's reply! I tried all of these things yesterday and I think I have found the leak. I took all valves apart and all is good with them. While we were troble shooting this I got down on my knees and put my ear to the spa and I believe I hear the leak. I think it's one of the jets. Now I need to know what the plumbing under the concrete looks like. My spa is a fiberglass spillover and yes looks like we are going to have to dig just not sure how these things are plumbed inside. If I dig am I going to be able to even reach this leak? I mean is it encased in the shell? Or do we go about this by the jet itself? Can't find any pictures with exploding diagrams of the spillover itself which might be helpful before digging

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.