Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spill over spa leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Spill over spa leak

Hello! I have my pool all ready to go except this week I discovered that my spill over spa is loosing water only while pump is on so my guess is it is loosing on return. I have read a few comments about value check. What is that? I have no visible leaks it just looses water when in spa only mode help please. I don't want to dig!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spill over spa leak

Welcome to TFP!!!

Check valves only allow water one direction ... they are suspected when the spa water drains down to the pool level when the pump is off.

If you are only losing water when in full spa mode with the pump on, that certainly does point to the something leaking on the pressure side.

Are you sure that the return valve is fully set to spa and that you are not actually returning some of the water to the pool, thus emptying the spa?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I know that I have the valve turned all the way but is it possible that the valve could let the water leak back into the pool? Like o rings being bad? Not sure that is a stupid question or not

4. Back To Top    #4

That is certainly possible that the seals need to be re-built ... add a picture of your equipment and plumbing setup.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

If it only leaks when the pump is on, it sounds like the valves are misadjusted so you're drawing more out than you're putting back in. That's always been my big fear, and I finally stopped fiddling with it and keep the spa suction closed unless I'm actually using the spa as a spa. There's enough water exchange just from having about 25% return to the spa.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for everyone's reply! I tried all of these things yesterday and I think I have found the leak. I took all valves apart and all is good with them. While we were troble shooting this I got down on my knees and put my ear to the spa and I believe I hear the leak. I think it's one of the jets. Now I need to know what the plumbing under the concrete looks like. My spa is a fiberglass spillover and yes looks like we are going to have to dig just not sure how these things are plumbed inside. If I dig am I going to be able to even reach this leak? I mean is it encased in the shell? Or do we go about this by the jet itself? Can't find any pictures with exploding diagrams of the spillover itself which might be helpful before digging