Ideas needed for walkway around vinyl above ground pool

JulieLeo

LifeTime Supporter
May 13, 2011
Atlanta, GA
This is our 3rd year for our above ground Summer Escapes pool. Finally my husband sees we need a better walkway around the pool.

Would like some ideas and pics if available best way to surround the pool with an economical walk way.

Thanks for your ideas.

Julie

Some have built decking all around the base. If mud is an issue you could use mulch around the pool. I've seen users put black plastic edging all the way around the bottom of the pool to prevent the mulch from poking the liner. Any pics? That might help figure out a walkway.

OK --so here's a lame out of focus pic of the pool... DH INSISTED on placing garden plots right beside the pool but I cropped them out.

Basically the pool has a very narrow walk way around it....maybe 2.5 feet of space. This pic shows the pool with no water in it...but we've since filled it and straightened the supports and all is well. Now just need the walkway. Last year, I begged for a walkway but he didn't want the expense. FINALLY he agreed this year we need walkway around the pool, only because it was hard for HIM to walk around the pool when I needed his help to add a outlet to the bottom of the pool liner (No he never helps with pool upkeep and doesn't want to learn how to either! Just me...ugh!)

So now, don't laugh..... but, this is all I have to show at this time. Still could wring his neck for digging up the yard so close to the pool, but can't change that............... THIS YEAR anyway.

Any suggestions are helpful. Thanks.

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 352
We have a 9x18 rectangular intex and we have a wood frame 16x30 and backfilled it with pea gravel and installed stepping stones. It's worked out really well for us, we have 2 pool bars along the sides and a deck at one end. We also have a set of hot tub steps on the filter side that makes it easier for us shorties to clean the pool. The pea gravel looks great and has worked out really well with stepping stones. Just don't do the gravel until the pools up and full and don't cram it up against the liner. Happy landscaping! :)

Try Pallets. Found for free. Depending on size of path if walkway isn't as wide as a pallet cut them in half. Use slats from bottom to fill in gaps on top. Instant deck. Use scraps from your cut out wood pieces to fill in angles around the pool. Water seal them , stain them or them and you have a nice deck around pool made out of pallets. Its cheap looks nice . Lay weed fabrics or heavy plastic on ground under the pallets to prevent weed growth weed eating near your pool.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have an AG pool so I'm not 100% sure about what you mean by a walkway around it. We just put this walkway TO our pool in. It was work but not pricey. It was done using quickrete and a mold. I made sure we put it in so hubby could just mow over it with the John Deere as we have 26+ acres and about 3-5 acres to keep mowed. I wanted it to be as maintenance free as possible (and as cheep as possible for our budget). The cobblestone mold is a fixed expense then it is just as many bags of quickrete as you need. Not expensive but labor intensive.

Please excuse that the project isn't complete with sod or grass re growing yet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 131

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Very nice!

I don't have an AG pool so I'm not 100% sure about what you mean by a walkway around it. We just put this walkway TO our pool in. It was work but not pricey. It was done using quickrete and a mold. I made sure we put it in so hubby could just mow over it with the John Deere as we have 26+ acres and about 3-5 acres to keep mowed. I wanted it to be as maintenance free as possible (and as cheep as possible for our budget). The cobblestone mold is a fixed expense then it is just as many bags of quickrete as you need. Not expensive but labor intensive.

Please excuse that the project isn't complete with sod or grass re growing yet.

Thanks DarrelB. You can find videos on how to do it on the quickrete website but don't be fooled it was major labor. It was NOT however expensive. And gras can grow between in those gaps and still have a walkway......just mow over it. I don't know about mowing around an AG pool....I'd be afraid of kicking up a stone or two which is why a walkway like that might work. Put the walk in and mow over it. Maybe some roundup from time to time closer to the pool?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.