What should i fix first?

gg10

Feb 14, 2013
I installed the new T-15 cell last week and added salt. Since salt cell was not working so I was maintaining cl by adding it manually that why my cl is still high. I have been trying to control pH but not under control still. When I am touch the pool water I can feel it is very harsh and my hand becomes very dry and feels burning when my hand dries. So here are the readings

Cl 3 - 6
pH 8.2
Alk 120
Hardness 300
CYA 100 ppm
Salt 3100

I changed pool generator % to 30% and spa to 10% until the cl generation becomes stable.
Now please tell me what should I try to bring down first and how? I am planning to open the pool next weekend.

I am new to pool ownership that's why I ask how since I am learning about chemicals.
You should always start in our Pool School. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry". It'll give you a great start and then the answers we give you will be more meaningful.

Any idea how much water replacement would lower to desired ppm? And also how do I replace water? Will opening the main drain valve and then turning the return to not go to pool...?

I read all the pool school stuff and I completely believe and trust you guys. And what you say makes sense to me :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
gg10 said:
So I am guessing if I reduce 50% of water, it will also reduce salt, alk cl, pH etc by the same ratio? And then I will have to start raising each one one by one?
Not exactly...your fill water will have zero CYA, but it will have some pH reading, and probably some TA and CH. In hard water areas it will have lots. If it's tap water, there will be a trace of FC and possibly CC.

Test the tap water and see.

Here are tap water readings. I am confused with the pH reading

Cl 1-2
pH 8.00 or higher
Alk 30
Hardness 120

How can pH be so high? I tested 3 times from different taps. There is one thing I am confused abt now. I was taking the water sample to nearby Leslie for past two months and in fact on 27th April their pH reading was also high buy their CYA reading was 80. Since then I had to fill the pool once since it got very low due to so much heat we got in N Dallas and then 2 days after that last week we got severe thunderstorms which filled the water so much that it's overflowing thru the overflow vents.
So now I am thinking is CYA really high or I made a mistake? Now I am out of CYA test agent.
What do you guys think is going on here?

No. TA and CH are the least important to worry about. And pointless if you have to replace water.

You need a good CYA number so you know the correct FC levels up get and keep the pool clear.

Yes, I used that before I got my K-2006. It's a decent test kit, just lacking the good chlorine test. Since you are out of CYA reagent and don't have the good chlorine test, you should probably get a new one. I'm not sure who makes the reagents for the HTH kit, but I have a suspicion it may be Taylor. The reason I say this is because I know for a fact that all of the hardware has Taylor part numbers. Anyway, you should get a good kit. The TF-1000 is a better value, but the K-2006 also works.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.