Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Major leak with pump is on recirculate

1. Back To Top    #1

Major leak with pump is on recirculate

I had to put several chemicals in and set multiport valve on top of sand filter to recirculating. When I came back home (4 hours later), I noticed there was some water by the filteration system. I lost about 4 inches of water. I had my valve set to main drain.

My question is...why did I lose water or have a leak when my valve is on multiport is on recirculate? My pool does not leak when the system is off. Also, why is it leaking by my filteration system by my waste line (pipe that backwashing water leaves the sand filter)

My multiport valve looks like it had a leak last year (water was standing in my multiport vlave-not over flowing). I tried to replace the spider gasket but with this model I have to replace the whole multiport ($125-$150).

Do you think this is the problem or do I need to call a leak company?
    21,250 gallons
    18 X 36 IG, Vinyl
    Sand 300 lbs. Hayward S244T
    Hayward Pump 1 HP
    Salt Generator Gold Line Controls

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Major leak with pump is on recirculate

Sounds like a problem in the multi port, either the gasket is leaking our it was not fully seated allowing water out the waste pipe.

What model does not allow repair?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

It's a Hayward SP714...You have to take it apart because the spider gasket is glued on. From what I read it is easier to buy a whole new on instead of replacing it (hard to put together, with the springs)

I was wrong on the price. I found a replacement for $75.00

I hope this is the reason for the leak. I am worried that it might be the main drain.
    21,250 gallons
    18 X 36 IG, Vinyl
    Hayward Pump 1 HP

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by txboynjgirl
    It's a Hayward SP714...You have to take it apart because the spider gasket is glued on. From what I read it is easier to buy a whole new on instead of replacing it (hard to put together, with the springs)

I was wrong on the price. I found a replacement for $75.00

I hope this is the reason for the leak. I am worried that it might be the main drain.
    Water by the filter combined with a lower water level would point more at something filter or pump related being the source rather than the main drain which you just happened to be suctioning from at the time.

I agree to check out the multiport. While the gasket isn't officially replaceable, it can be done successfully. It should just be a matter of removing all of the cover screws and lifting the upper half of the valve case out. AFAIK the gasket is mounted to the underside of that assembly. It is glued in, but if you can find a replacement spider gasket you can remove the existing, clean out the channel of any junk and then insert the new one. Ive never had to replace just a spider gasket, but I would try the new one without any glue and see if it fixes the issue. At worst you lose the cost of the gasket and buy a new multiport anyway.
    22K IG vinyl, .5HP Northstar pump, S244T filter, AutoPilot Digital w/SC-48 cell

5. Back To Top    #5

Today I took off the backwash/waste line...When I had it on filter or recirculate water was pouring out. I was trying to put a cap over the pipe to stop the water from leaking.

But, i was unsuccessful. I was afraid i was going to damage my pump or filter by doing this...Would putting a cap or blocking the waste/backwash line from leaking ruin something else. The reason why...I ordered a new multiport valve...My pool is still unclear/cloudy and I can't use my filter because of the leak.
    21,250 gallons
    18 X 36 IG, Vinyl
    Hayward Pump 1 HP

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by txboynjgirl
    Today I took off the backwash/waste line...When I had it on filter or recirculate water was pouring out. I was trying to put a cap over the pipe to stop the water from leaking.

But, i was unsuccessful. I was afraid i was going to damage my pump or filter by doing this...Would putting a cap or blocking the waste/backwash line from leaking ruin something else. The reason why...I ordered a new multiport valve...My pool is still unclear/cloudy and I can't use my filter because of the leak.
    I had a leaking multiport once.....I ran a longer hose from the waste outlet right back into the pool. Not sure if the "leaking" water is filtered or unfiltered at that point, but at least you wont be losing water and that way you can use the filter and start getting it clear while you wait for the new multiport.
    22K IG vinyl, .5HP Northstar pump, S244T filter, AutoPilot Digital w/SC-48 cell