Found the website and am glad I did. I have studied many threads about pool design and have learned alot. Never had a pool before but have had a spa for 10 years (if that matters )
I have bought a to-be-built house in Northern Scottsdale, AZ. There is a good view of some hills beyond the backyard. The developer/builder has an agreement with Premier Pools & Spa which allows for Premier to have access to the site while home construction is ongoing. This will allow Premier to do the dig with larger equipment (and hopefully less cost). I can obviously go with any PB after the house is built so one decision to be made is to go with Premier now or wait. I travel frequently and sometimes these trips will last for 1 month in duration so I need a pool which is suitable for this situation.
A thumbnail of the backyard is 85' 6" wide by 23' 6" deep (from the house, side fences and back fences) with a stubby L-shape. The bottom leg of the L is 10' x 16'. The back fence will be 7" tall with stucco finish. I will meet with Premier Pool in a 1 1/2 weeks to start the ball rolling and to decide whether to dig the hole, etc. I don't know the zoning code or any other conditions which would constrain the size of the pool in the backyard. There is a covered patio are in the middle of the house 16' x 18' (W x L). A rule of thumb which I have seen repeated is the. I know this website is great for nut & bolt issues such as equipment, # lights, # of drains, etc. I would appreciate people's thoughts on the following:total poolside area should be about equal to the pool
1. I am leaning toward a rectangular shape. I expect this would also make a pool cover easier to use and planning the tracks that get recessed in the concrete. Most pools I see on this website are not rectangular. Is this just an aesthetics or cost issue?
2. Should I even consider this pool for exercise swimming? What is the minimum length which would make a pool capable of some exercise? 60'?
3. What type of heating system should I chose for this area and why? I see some people in similar hot regions have heater/coolers. When do you need cooling function? Do I need a gas heater?
4. My wife likes vanishing-edge pools. Does this make any sense when you have a 7' wall for your back fence?
5. Does anyone have positive or negative with Premier Pool especially in the Scottsdale, AZ area?
6. Should this be a SWCG pool for this area? It seems to be less maintenance. It also looks like ozone seems not needed for the outdoor, AZ area.
7. Anyone have comments about Premier Pool and/or going with a PB selected by the developer/builder?
8. I saw some positive comments about Natural Reflections? Smaller with potentially better prices and communication. Anyone have recent experience with them?
9. Have seen different payment plans discussed with the general strategy is to pay as much as you can towards the back-end in order to have better schedule performance and attention. What is a reasonable payment plan?
10. I like darker pool bottoms. Does this work in Scottsdale, AZ? Get too hot? Hard to maintain?
11. Pool entry looks like three choices: ladder, beach entry, and baja steps. Is it correct to go with baja steps for a more compact entry? And no ladder due to SWCG?
12. Most people say that they would make their pools deeper in retrospect? Is there a depth which is too deep either due to cost issues in building or just-too deep for enjoyment in the water?
13. In-floor cleaning/circulation seems to be a favorite or a scourge by forum members. Is it worth the cost/benefit?
14. If I want a sunning entry to the pool, at what minimal length is this practical?
15. Is pebble-tech worth the price?
16. The house slab is using post-tensioned concrete. Is there any issues with pools cracking which I should be aware of in the northern-Scottsdale area?
16. Must haves seem to be: 2-stage pump with a size as minimal as possible, returns on steps, more outlets then you ever thing you'll use, auto-fill, automatic control, two lights (should they look toward the house or away from the house?) and in-floor cleaner zones are plumbed separately from the wall returns. Anything I missed?
Thanks and look forward to any comments people have about the above or any other issues.