pavers sank

last year i leveled the ground and put pavers under the legs. Over the winter the pavers sank. One of the pavers ended up putting a hole in the liner. I live in NC so nothing but red clay. I made the mistake last year of using 1/4 inch expanded foam board, it has crumbled. I am redoing the ground and bought 1 inch excluded foam boards. I know I am supposed to put pavers under the legs but I am concerned they will just sink again. When it rains here the red clay just gets soft and with the weight i do not think they will hold. I can redo it every year but I am trying to do a permanent set up and just leave the pool up.

My set up last year was 1/4 expanded foam, tarp over it and 2x4 pavers. oine leg had a 12x12 stepping stone it sank too but not as much.(ps. tarp was not over pavers)

My set up this year will be ground cover, 1 inch expanded foam, tarps over that. I am just trying to decide now what to do about the legs.

Any suggestions appreciated.

My pool is a 15x42 intex

Using pavers (or something similar) is better than not using pavers, even if you have problems with them. If the ground won't hold up the paver, it will never hold up the leg and you will have problems sooner instead of later. There are more drastic/expensive solutions, like digging out the clay and replacing it with a foot of compacted crusher run, which will hold up the pavers, but that gets to be a project.

Maybe you could double up on the pavers and go with the biggest you can find. You could also try digging out some of the clay and replace with some crushed stone, hand compact the stone and sit the paver on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Just a thought. You mention using "expanded" foam insulation. I used "extruded" foam under my pool. When I was researching insulation I called the manufacturer and I was told that "expanded" insulation would crush and flatten under the weight of the pool.

Dig 6 inches under where paver will go, put a compactablele base ( crusher run or what ever its called out there) put 2 inch layer at a time,slightly dampen it, and compact it with a hand tamper. Repeat until flush with ground and top it with the paver. Should solve ur issue

It rained her all weekend, and I learned what part of problem might be. The pool is at the bottom of a hill so all run off goes right for the pool. Thank you for all your advice above I am going to use it. But I am also going to find a way to reroute the run off and put up a retaining wall also.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.