Raypak heater "Rollout SW Open"

tlwilson

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 15, 2010
Nebraska
We bought a new heater this season, a Raypak 206,000 BTU NG Electric Heater RHM-15-9962. It heated the pool nicely earlier in the week, but we turned it off when a cool spell was forecast. This morning I tried to turn it on and I get this error message: "Rollout SW Open". What does this mean? I appreciate the help.

The rollout switch is activated when something like wind causes the flames to shoot out towards the front of the unit. This is usually caused by high winds while the unit is running. Are you sure it it said rollout? Sounds odd that you turn it on and the switch is open.

The rollout switch connects inside the cabinet right behind where the gas pipe comes into the gas valve. I have seen a few cases where the installer moved the rollout switch so they could install the gas pipe and they failed to put it back in place. This dangling switch is right by the burners then and when the units lights, its possible for the switch to trip open.

In any case this unit is under warranty. Hopefully your installer is also a warranty person for Raypak. Call them and have them come back and look at why the switch failed.

Our heater is still not fixed. They determined it wasn't getting enough gas so the gas company replaced our meter. Turned it on and the same thing happened. Now they say the wind diminished the flame and did something to the fireman's switch. Fireman's switch replaced and the wind keeps blowing out or diminishing the flame. Back and forth on how to protect it from the wind. Anybody with advice?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wonder if you have a bad roll out switch. My old RP2100 heater had a wax one and I replaced it with a solid state one. It had a red reset button on it. That solved my roll out problem at the time. They also sell roll out switches that have different shutoff temps by about 10-15deg if I remember but you may not want to go there. I did buy one of the solid state versions which was higher but didn't need it.

I have the same problem. Just happened to me today. I bought and got my heater installed in October 2013 and it heated the pool really nicely. I haven't used the heater in about a week. It's been really hot in Toronto. Today I wanted to do an evening swim with the kids and my wife so I thought I'd turn it on and had the "Rollout SW Opem" message. I thought it was a glitch so I cut the power to the unit and turned it back on, cut the gas and turned it back on, opened up the panel and cleaned any debris I could with a cloth rag and nothing. After reading the comments here I have located the switch but it does not have a reset button. I read somewhere that the newer models do not have one. Is it time to call for service or is there anything else I can do on my end? RSVP

If it is a Raypak heater, the roll out sensor is a one time use part, like a fuse, it isnt re-settable. I would replace it, leave the front cover removed, start the heater, and observe if the flame "rolls out". If you see this happen, turn off the heater immediately, and have a tech check the exchanger for sooting.

If it is a Raypak heater, the roll out sensor is a one time use part, like a fuse, it isnt re-settable. I would replace it, leave the front cover removed, start the heater, and observe if the flame "rolls out". If you see this happen, turn off the heater immediately, and have a tech check the exchanger for sooting.

I tried that. It doesn't even ignite. Nothing happens. It is just the error message.

You can jumper across the roll out sensor to see if it starts. This is just for testing purposes and shouldn't be left that way. Might have blown the replaced sensor again or may have some other board issue.

Re: Raypak heater "Rollout SW Open"

@wjr75 How do I do that? "Jumper across the rollout sensor?"

- - - Updated - - -

@pool clown: no I did not replace it. Not sure how to do that? I see the wires tracing up towards panel, but I guess I have to take off the panel to see it's source right?

- - - Updated - - -

@pool clown: no I did not replace it. Not sure how to do that? I see the wires tracing up towards panel, but I guess I have to take off the panel to see it's source right?

To jumper across you need a wire across the two terminals where the fuse (roll out sensor) is plugged into. If you do any electrical testing you usually have an alligator clip jumper wire which has one on both ends. But as said before this would be temporary.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.