Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: Raypak heater "Rollout SW Open"

Raypak heater "Rollout SW Open"

We bought a new heater this season, a Raypak 206,000 BTU NG Electric Heater RHM-15-9962. It heated the pool nicely earlier in the week, but we turned it off when a cool spell was forecast. This morning I tried to turn it on and I get this error message: "Rollout SW Open". What does this mean? I appreciate the help.
    24,000 Gal In Ground pool
    Vinyl Liner
    Sand Filter
    Pentair Intelliflo pump
    Raypak Gas Heater

Re: Raypak heater "Rollout SW Open"

Here is what I found in the manual: Roll Out Sw Open - Rollout Switch - verify gas pressure, combustion air, blocked heat exchanger, proper vent size/connections, high wind conditions.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Senior Member In the Industry

The rollout switch is activated when something like wind causes the flames to shoot out towards the front of the unit. This is usually caused by high winds while the unit is running. Are you sure it it said rollout? Sounds odd that you turn it on and the switch is open.

The rollout switch connects inside the cabinet right behind where the gas pipe comes into the gas valve. I have seen a few cases where the installer moved the rollout switch so they could install the gas pipe and they failed to put it back in place. This dangling switch is right by the burners then and when the units lights, its possible for the switch to trip open.

In any case this unit is under warranty. Hopefully your installer is also a warranty person for Raypak. Call them and have them come back and look at why the switch failed.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com

A word of caution: When working with gas and other things you really might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. I recently looked at a burned up heater at a customers house and found out he tried to trouble shoot it. He said he's not sure what he did but the unit caught fire. The unit is now toast and is being replaced. I'm only providing you with help but in many cases you need to hire someone. I realize people are all about saving money but lives are priceless!

Thank you for your reply. It definitely says "Rollout SW Open". I will call the installer for the repair.
    Vinyl Liner
    Sand Filter
    Pentair Intelliflo pump
    Raypak Gas Heater

Our heater is still not fixed. They determined it wasn't getting enough gas so the gas company replaced our meter. Turned it on and the same thing happened. Now they say the wind diminished the flame and did something to the fireman's switch. Fireman's switch replaced and the wind keeps blowing out or diminishing the flame. Back and forth on how to protect it from the wind. Anybody with advice?
    Vinyl Liner
    Sand Filter
    Pentair Intelliflo pump
    Raypak Gas Heater

The only thing you can do is add a wind stack to it. You've never had this issue before wind?
    Paul

A word of caution: When working with gas and other things you really might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. I recently looked at a burned up heater at a customers house and found out he tried to trouble shoot it. He said he's not sure what he did but the unit caught fire. The unit is now toast and is being replaced. I'm only providing you with help but in many cases you need to hire someone. I realize people are all about saving money but lives are priceless!

Our previous heater never had this problem. It was old and inefficient (still worked), but we wanted to upgrade.
    Vinyl Liner
    Sand Filter
    Pentair Intelliflo pump
    Raypak Gas Heater

Add the Raypak high wind stack. Probably $100 or around there.
    Paul

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it!
    Vinyl Liner
    Sand Filter
    Pentair Intelliflo pump
    Raypak Gas Heater