LifeTime Supporter
May 2, 2012
North of Charlotte, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Just started to utilize my new 2 speed pump by trying out running on low speed most of the time, besides vacuuming/ back washing sand filter, dosing with muriatic acid etc...

Do most folks that run their pumps this way find it hard to see the good circulation of the pool compared to running on high speed?? Or is it just a visual thing for me that I need to get use to?

And I guess it will just be a trial and error thing to see if 8-10hrs a day of run time on low speed will be just as sufficient for water quality and skimming action as compared to my normal 8-10 Hrs on High speed??

Sent from my DNA using Tapatalk

I run mine on low speed most of the time. Your moving less gpm on low than high so you'll notice less skimmer action but it will filter the water better on low.

Pump run time is something you have to play with as every pool is different. Lately I've been running mine for 6 hours on low and water is crystal clear. If I need more skimming ill run on high for an hour or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

pwrstrk said:
I run mine on low speed most of the time. Your moving less gpm on low than high so you'll notice less skimmer action but it will filter the water better on low.

Pump run time is something you have to play with as every pool is different. Lately I've been running mine for 6 hours on low and water is crystal clear. If I need more skimming ill run on high for an hour or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Thanks pwrstrk, guess I'll figure out the run time I need over time and usage, just gotta get use to the lower pressure reading on my filter since I've bumped up my eyeballs to 1" as well at the same time....and will definitely take a while to get use to the visual lower circulation it now produces....

I have been trying the low speed option on my pump. The water looks fine, but today I noticed that there wasn't much skimming action going on. There was some kind of junk at the water line which we never had. I partially closed the main drain and that helped a little but I wound up running the pump on high speed for a few hours. I may have to switch it back and forth. I haven't switched on the swg or the heat pump yet. I hear that there might be an issue with those two but we will see.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.