Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Running on Low Speed??

1. Back To Top    #1

Running on Low Speed??

Just started to utilize my new 2 speed pump by trying out running on low speed most of the time, besides vacuuming/ back washing sand filter, dosing with muriatic acid etc...

Do most folks that run their pumps this way find it hard to see the good circulation of the pool compared to running on high speed?? Or is it just a visual thing for me that I need to get use to?

And I guess it will just be a trial and error thing to see if 8-10hrs a day of run time on low speed will be just as sufficient for water quality and skimming action as compared to my normal 8-10 Hrs on High speed??

24,000 Gallon Vinyl Grecian IG,Triton2 Sand Filter / Pentair Super Flo 1 HP Dual Speed Pump ,
    Stenner Peristaltic Pump Injection w/15 gal drum,Stubbed up supply/return for future solar panels :)
    TF100 Rocks !! Pool School....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Running on Low Speed??

I run mine on low speed most of the time. Your moving less gpm on low than high so you'll notice less skimmer action but it will filter the water better on low.

Pump run time is something you have to play with as every pool is different. Lately I've been running mine for 6 hours on low and water is crystal clear. If I need more skimming ill run on high for an hour or so.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk
    I run mine on low speed most of the time. Your moving less gpm on low than high so you'll notice less skimmer action but it will filter the water better on low.

Pump run time is something you have to play with as every pool is different. Lately I've been running mine for 6 hours on low and water is crystal clear. If I need more skimming ill run on high for an hour or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Thanks pwrstrk, guess I'll figure out the run time I need over time and usage, just gotta get use to the lower pressure reading on my filter since I've bumped up my eyeballs to 1" as well at the same time....and will definitely take a while to get use to the visual lower circulation it now produces....
    24,000 Gallon Vinyl Grecian IG,Triton2 Sand Filter / Pentair Super Flo 1 HP Dual Speed Pump ,
    Stenner Peristaltic Pump Injection w/15 gal drum,Stubbed up supply/return for future solar panels :)
    TF100 Rocks !! Pool School....

4. Back To Top    #4

My pressure is also low on low speed. I only have 4 psi on low and 16 on high.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

I have been trying the low speed option on my pump. The water looks fine, but today I noticed that there wasn't much skimming action going on. There was some kind of junk at the water line which we never had. I partially closed the main drain and that helped a little but I wound up running the pump on high speed for a few hours. I may have to switch it back and forth. I haven't switched on the swg or the heat pump yet. I hear that there might be an issue with those two but we will see.
    Built in October 2011, 16 x 26 x 20 L shaped vinyl IG steel wall pool, Hayward DE pro grid verticle filter 4800 pool, Hayward two speed superpump, 120,000 BTU Pentair Ultra Temp Heat Pump, Aqua Rite Salt system, 8' wide walk out steps, 2 skimmers, 4 returns, 2 main drains, 500 watt underwater light, intermatic mechanical timer

6. Back To Top    #6

If I see I need more skimmer action i'll run it on high for awhile.

Jeff