Are comm protocols for VS pumps compatible?

Slurpee98

LifeTime Supporter
May 6, 2013
Howdy,

I'm a first time pool buyer and I'm starting the research. One thing I am planning on doing later on after the pool is stable is automate as much as possible. I'm away a lot. My builder uses Hayward exclusively, but I plan on adding mostly Pentair upgrades later. Do the VS pumps across mfg (or at least Hayward and Pentair) use the same communication protocol? It looks like RS485 for Pentair in the manuals. But I can't find the info on Hayward pumps. And that is just the physical layer. The control protocol is a whole different topic.

I want to know if the Hayward VS pump may be controlled at variable speed by a Pentair Intellitouch later on?

Cheers,
Bryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am pretty sure that the protocols are not the same between manufactures because of the issues people run into with mixed systems. Since there are no standards in this area, it make sense they they are not compatible. However, there are several controllers that can communicate with other manufactures pumps, mostly interoperability with the Intelliflo pump since it is so popular. Also, the full compatibility list of most controllers is not well publicized so you might want to talk directly with Pentair about other pumps the Intellitouch might support.

But you might be better off sticking with a single manufacture because you can usually get an extended warranty with bundling at no extra cost.

I was afraid of that. I'll back down to a simple Hayward pump then and use it as a booster for solar or water features then. Or sell it when I upgrade to Pentair. Thx. I will call Pentair.

Cheers,
Bryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You shouldn't need a booster for solar. Most IG pumps can easily handle solar. I have a solar on a two story roof and only a 1/2 HP pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.