CYA 152 Should I Add Optimize or Stablizer

May 17, 2013
I first should thank everyone for the tremendous knowledge that is available here.
This is my second year with my pool. The first year I was at the mercy of the pool store, but over the winter I studied this website and have a been able to get the pool opened and ready for swimming.
My numbers are.... POOL SIZE: 30k vinyl pool with sand filter.
ph 7.4
fc is 3.5 ppm
cc is .2
ta 80
cya 152 (The prior owner only used chlorine pucks as did I until I found this website.)
The pool is losing about 1.5-2ppm of fc a day. The pool gets heavy sun most of the day.

MY QUESTIONS IS: Should I add an optimzer of stabilzer. I was concerned these would raise my cya even higher.
Is there a difference in optimzer/stabilzer.
I am hoping the cya will drop over the summer with splash-out etc. Is this a good stratagy or should I actively try to lower my cya.
Thanks, Les

Welcome to TFP!

If that CYA reading is correct, you need to replace water to lower it. Richard320 is correct in saying that based upon your CYA reading, a FC of 3.5 is far too low. Lower the CYA by changing water out and then see where you are.

Please read Pool School. You also need a good test kit. We will help you get squared away. :goodjob:

I just found three big jars of Cyanuric Acid from the previous owner! Hence my CYA reading of 152!
Thanks for the responses. I have been studying Pool School and am working on lowering my CYA number.
Vacuuming to waste for several weeks and a 12 inch drain has me down about 100.

Down to 100 as in a drop of 52 or down to 52 (drop of 100)?

Pool Calc shows 152 down to 100 requires 34% new water. 152 down to 52 would be 66%. Just be sure that everything calculates correctly. The initial reading of 152 sounds a bit suspicious. Unless you're estimating, did you use the black dot test?

Either way, replacing water will help.

IIRC, the CYA test is not so accurate at 100PPM or higher. In my experience CYA over 100 is asking for a cloudy green mess you cannot effectively control during the July4th weekend (voice of experience).

You could quickly confirm it by using 50% pool water and 50% bottled/tap water. If you get 50PPM on a 50/50 test, you are at 100PPM.

Welcome to tfp, Chandler :wave:

As techguy said, when the test is reading 100, often it still can be higher (how did you get the 152?)...I would do a dilution using half pool water and half cya free water (tap water is fine for this) and redo the test then multiply your result by 2.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.