Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA 152 Should I Add Optimize or Stablizer

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA 152 Should I Add Optimize or Stablizer

I first should thank everyone for the tremendous knowledge that is available here.
    This is my second year with my pool. The first year I was at the mercy of the pool store, but over the winter I studied this website and have a been able to get the pool opened and ready for swimming.
    My numbers are.... POOL SIZE: 30k vinyl pool with sand filter.
    ph 7.4
    fc is 3.5 ppm
    cc is .2
    ta 80
    cya 152 (The prior owner only used chlorine pucks as did I until I found this website.)
    The pool is losing about 1.5-2ppm of fc a day. The pool gets heavy sun most of the day.

MY QUESTIONS IS: Should I add an optimzer of stabilzer. I was concerned these would raise my cya even higher.
    Is there a difference in optimzer/stabilzer.
    I am hoping the cya will drop over the summer with splash-out etc. Is this a good stratagy or should I actively try to lower my cya.
    Thanks, Les
    30,000 Gallon Vinyl.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA 152 Should I Add Optimize or Stablizer

No, you already have too much stabilizer. With that level of CYA, you should never let FC drop below 18!!! You're only at 3.5. You are extremely lucky that your pool is not a cloudy green mess.

"Optimizer", if you mean BioGuard Optimizer Plus, is just borates. You could add it, but why?
    http://www.pools.com/doc_library/docs/123514.pdf
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

If that CYA reading is correct, you need to replace water to lower it. Richard320 is correct in saying that based upon your CYA reading, a FC of 3.5 is far too low. Lower the CYA by changing water out and then see where you are.

Please read Pool School. You also need a good test kit. We will help you get squared away.

4. Back To Top    #4

I just found three big jars of Cyanuric Acid from the previous owner! Hence my CYA reading of 152!
    Thanks for the responses. I have been studying Pool School and am working on lowering my CYA number.
    Vacuuming to waste for several weeks and a 12 inch drain has me down about 100.
    30,000 Gallon Vinyl.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Vacuuming to waste for several weeks and a 12 inch drain has me down about 100.
    Keep at it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Down to 100 as in a drop of 52 or down to 52 (drop of 100)?

Pool Calc shows 152 down to 100 requires 34% new water. 152 down to 52 would be 66%. Just be sure that everything calculates correctly. The initial reading of 152 sounds a bit suspicious. Unless you're estimating, did you use the black dot test?

Either way, replacing water will help.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]