sand everywhere..in pool and in pump basket

survey77777

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 18, 2007
ontario, canada
Hi

First off I want to thank all of you for being here and preventing me from going off the deep end over my years as a pool owner. I feel like an @$$ though that my only form of contributing in here seems to be with my problems, and for that I apologize.

Anyway...we replaced our filter last year with a 22" aqua coastal sand filter. Our pump is the same old one we've always had. The pool was up and running this year for a short time. I have not been the one in the family looking after the pool for the last two years, but I am the family problem solver, hence me being here with only the info I'm told.

Apparently, he had the creepy crawler running which was a bad idea since all of the spring crud was still at the bottom of the pool. He says he then vacuumed to waste. After this he reports that the pool stopped running. The pump basket was "full" of filter sand and he had to dig it out to get the basket out. I started up the pump today and it sounds like it's running but it doesn't appear that water is running through it. The water quickly drains out of the pump basket. When it sits...slow air bubbles come into the pump basket from the motor side towards the filter.

I have never seen or heard of anyone having sand return to their pump and am seriously at my whits end with this. It was easier when I embraced my control freak issues and did it all myself ;)

I'm really hoping that someone can help me out here, and please know how much I appreciate the advice.

Thanks,
Nicole

My first reaction is that dirt, sand and debris has all been pulled into the system and clogged it up.

Clean out the pump basket, (check the impeller to see if it has debris in it, too). Then, clean out the filter thoroughly.

Next stick a garden hose into the pump strainer basket and into the pipe coming from the pool as far as it will go. Then turn on the hose water, hopefully dislodging any clogged debris in the suction pipe.

Too big a job to ask of your system....get a VERY heavy duty leaf rake and remove that debris manually.

I did try threading the hose down and didn't meet any resistance. I've just asked him to try that again and maybe go further.
I told him to stick the hose into the filter sand to clean that out too...is this the right way to clean it?
I reached into the impeller like I always do and found nothing there either.
Baskets are all clean
It's the filter sand backing up into the pump basket that's getting me. What could cause that to happen?
And again..thank you.

Filter cleaned.
From running the hose down from the pump the skimmer basket filled with sand. What a mess. I just keep pumping more water through and getting more sand out. I have no idea how all of the filter sand got into the pool.
Please keep helping us!

It might be a good time to open the filter and inspect the sand and mechanicals for any obvious problems. The sand shouild be about 2/3 full.

It's not clear from you last post if the system is running.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.