Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pump/Filter Backwash

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pump/Filter Backwash

Good afternoon,
    Just had a new hayward energy efficient 1hp pump installed, as well as a 27 inch hayward sand filter. I bought the equipment myself, but not being comfortable with electric, paid a local pool guy to install. He mentioned not backwashing for at least three days after the initial backwash. However, because I didnt realize the pump was dead until I opened the pool for nearly two weeks I was just dumping bleach and using a small sump pump for a few hours a day to circulate the water. Chlorine level was actually staying somewhat level despite the issue, but water was very cloudy, clearly since I didnt have an operating filter.

So after a day straight running the pump the water is clearing up nicely and levels are holding, but my pressure gauge on the filter is reading pretty high, causing the heat pump to not operate, citing "low pressure". Just curious if there is any legitimacy to what he was saying about holding off 3 days before backwashing again? And as always, turning to the best resource I know.

Thanks all.

Cheers!
    Washington DC
    30,000 gallon, concrete/plaster pool, sand filter, 1hp Hayward pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: New Pump/Filter Backwash

I can't think of any reason why you shouldn't backwash a sand filter when it's dirty. That said, sand filters shouldn't be backwashed too often.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

but my pressure gauge on the filter is reading pretty high
    How high?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Around 33 PSI.
    Washington DC
    30,000 gallon, concrete/plaster pool, sand filter, 1hp Hayward pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

I suppose it would be nice to know where it started as well. This site generally recommends cleaning / backwashing your filter when the pressure is 25% higher than the starting pressure.
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter