Opening my Swamp

dacubz

May 18, 2013
I have a 24' round above ground that was not properly closed last year. My neighbor has a tree that has given me the gift of tons of little leaves both suspended, and certainly on the bottom of the pool. I've always used a sand filter, but bought a DE this year. I have a ladybug vac that I used last year that I was going to have help clear the bottom, along with an inline leaf catcher. The question that I have is, how should I start with my DE filter? It calls for the initial fill of DE, but I'm not sure if I should start with it since the pool is so messed up. I;m going to shock the heck out of the water, but I don't want a ton of stuff being loaded along with the DE at initial startup. Any ideas on quickly setting up?

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

Clearing a really dirty pool with a DE filter and a ladybug will be a tough task. The DE clogs pretty quickly but you have to deal with it because it won't filter at all without it. The ladybug has very little capacity so you will need to empty your pump basket often.

Manually remove all the solid debris that you can before starting....that'll be your best bet. Read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.