Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: insulate floor on AG 27ft radiant pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

insulate floor on AG 27ft radiant pool?

Brand new to FTP. Really loves the wealth of info. I'm hoping someone can give me some guidance:
    I live in northern Wisconsin where's it's cold. I'm putting up a 27ft radiant pool and I' 've had a lot of people tell me to insulate the bottom. i know that the majority of heat loss iis at the pool surface. But with mother earth always at approx 54 degrees, i also believe that there is heat loss stolen from the bottom. A couple questions i have:

1. insulate floor - Yes or no?
    2. Will weight of water crush insulation?
    3. If yes, what type of insulation?
    4. If yes , how would you connect insulation board to each other (duct tape, etc?)
    5. If yes, would you put the insulation above or below a couple inches

I appreciate anyone's opinion. Would love to hear success stories and/or see pictures.

Thanks again,

2. Back To Top    #2

Flower Mound, TX

Re: insulate floor on AG 27ft radiant pool?

Welcome to TFP!

Someone with good ABG pool knowledge will be by soon to get your question answered.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3

We didn't insulate the bottom of ours but did have the sides insulated and I think it made a difference with losing heat as well as using the solar cover whenever the pool was vacant and at night.
    13,900gal 24'x52" Backyard Leisure Heritage AGP
    20ml All Swirl Flat Liner
    Pentair 1.5hp Pump and 150# Sand Filter System
    Smart Step Ladder w/Smart Light
    TF100 test kit, BBB Baby!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Sault Ontario

Lot's of people use pink insulation board, the regular stuff you but at a big box. I personally don't believe it retains any meaningful level of heat and I don't think that should be the prime reason to use it.
    The main thing it achieves is a nice flat surface without wrinkles or humps.

As for wall foam, sorry if I sound difficult but it simply dosn't have the r value to make a difference in heat retention.

Just my 2 cents.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list