Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about filter setting.

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about filter setting.

I am wanting to replace the sand in my Hayward st244 filter. Am I able to keep the pump running with the filter in the recirculate position while I am draining the water out of the filter? I am assuming the filter is completely bypassed with the multi-port in this setting. Correct? Want to keep moving water as long as possible as I am currently in Shock mode. Thanks.
    16x32 IG vinyl
    24000 gallons
    Hayward super pump 1.5HP
    Hayward Pro Series Filter S244T
    3 returns, bottom drain, skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about filter setting.

Quote Originally Posted by tnewton7
    I am wanting to replace the sand in my Hayward st244 filter. Am I able to keep the pump running with the filter in the recirculate position while I am draining the water out of the filter? I am assuming the filter is completely bypassed with the multi-port in this setting. Correct? Want to keep moving water as long as possible as I am currently in Shock mode. Thanks.
    Why do you want to replace it? Is it all full of baquacil sludge? Check this thread out. If you think the sand is clogged with algae or channelled, just open the thing up and rinse it out with a garden hose, as it says in this thread.

I would never try messing with the filter without having the circuit breakers off. All of them. You'll only lose maybe half an hour of filter time while you clean it or suck it out using a shop vac. The time saved is not worth the risk.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

+1 what Richard said. I have NEVER changed sand and don't intend to.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Copy that. When I am vacuuming the pool, within a couple of minutes the dirty water starts coming out of the returns back into the pool. Pulled the multi-port off, do not visibly see any channelling going on in there. The multi-port seems to be working properly.
    16x32 IG vinyl
    24000 gallons
    Hayward super pump 1.5HP

5. Back To Top    #5

Do you try to work the hose all the way down to the laterals. Just wandering if I have got a cracked lateral. Figured if I had to remove all the sand to check,I would just go ahead and replace sand.
    16x32 IG vinyl
    24000 gallons
    Hayward super pump 1.5HP

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

How often do you backwash and rinse?
    Dave S.

7. Back To Top    #7

Fairly regular. Couple of times a week during peak season. Have a lot of trees in a adjoining yard, so I vacuum quite frequently. I do not typically see high filter pressure readings. Is there a possibility that a person could backwash too much? This is the first year I have ever seen an issue with the dirty water coming back out in the returns.
    16x32 IG vinyl
    24000 gallons
    Hayward super pump 1.5HP

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

No, you cannot backwash too much (within reason).

Dirty water can go back to your pool usually because there is some damage to the laterals at the bottom of your sand. Have you recently exposed them? Is your standpipe upright inside the filter? It sounds like it might be a good time to open up the filter and have a looksee for anything obvious. Report back when you get a chance.
    Dave S.