Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: NO backwash pressure

1. Back To Top    #1

NO backwash pressure

Hey Guys. Just opened my pool and it was all sparkly and clear. Checked my levels and to my surprise found out that I still had FC in pool from the winter. Filled up the pool and started the filter last night around 6pm. Let it run all night and this morning went to check on things. Pool was a little cloudy so I decided to add a little DE. While adding the DE it looked like it was making it past the filter it was a little cloudy out of the return.

Decided to backflush out the DE and found a problem. Very little pressure while backwashing.

Tried all filter settings and I get very little pressure on all of the other filter settings except filter.

When I put to Backflush/Rinse/Bypass to waste it comes out but not at high pressure.

I took off spider gasket and It looks OK to me. then I opened up filter to look at sand and the sand was not channeled and looked fine to me.

Cleaned everything off and test again same thing. When I back flush I get no dirt coming through. I know theres is some because when I opened the filter there was some debris that should have been backflushed out floating on top of the sand.

Any ideas?
    30' * 54" ABG 24.5K Gallons
    22" Waterway Sand Filter
    1.5 Hp Waterway Motor
    In - Line Chlorinator

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: NO backwash pressure

What is your normal, clean psi? What is the psi when you backwash?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Normal PSI is 12 - 13

It is currently filtering at 12

When I Switch to backwash guage does not come off 0
    22" Waterway Sand Filter
    1.5 Hp Waterway Motor
    In - Line Chlorinator

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Well, that has me stumped. The only change you make is the multiport setting which is on the pressure side of your system.

Yet, The resultant 0 psi you see when you switch to anything other than filter would have to be a restriction from the suction side.

That puzzle is above my pay grade. I have no explanation but will be curious what others have to say.
    Dave S.

5. Back To Top    #5

Although the gauge reads 0 I do have water flowing out the bypass port when back flushing or rinsing. Has me stumped too. Been on this site for two years now and have been able to search and find an answer for all my questions. I don't want to call the "pool experts" at the pool store.
    22" Waterway Sand Filter
    1.5 Hp Waterway Motor
    In - Line Chlorinator

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok so after more paying, testing, if I put my hand over the waste port while in back flush the water will come out the return in the pool. I'm leaning towards a bad spider gasket. I will start there and see where it goes. Still looking for input though.
    22" Waterway Sand Filter
    1.5 Hp Waterway Motor
    In - Line Chlorinator

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I'm leaning towards a bad spider gasket.
    You know, the more I think about it, I believe that's it. I just couldn't imagine a scenario that would allow the psi to go to zero on the pressure side but I think this may make sense.....

The spider gasket is faulty in that it only works in "filter".

In all other modes, the faulty gasket simply allows water to flow freely to each port....waste, backwash,rinse, bypass, etc.

In other words, the multi-port only forces water through the filter in "filter". In all other positions, it allows the water to bypass the filter and flow through all the other ports, resulting in 0 psi.
    Dave S.

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok so after days of agonizing. Knowing I closed and winterized the pool correctly. I just couldnt accept that the spider gasket went bad after only two seasons, I ordered one already. So I took everything apart again and looked at it. Cleaned everything. Put it back together and still the same results.

So here comes the good part, and at this point i'm even emabrassed to post this. When reinstalling all the fittings and hoses form over the winter I did not refernece my photo/drawing from when i disassembled everything. Turns out I had the pump plumbed into the return port of the multi port valve and the return hose plumbed into the pump port. ALL BAKWARDS. WHAT AN IDIOT. Thing is when looking at it it seemd correct from last year. I got cocky thinking I did not need to reference how I took things apart. LESSON LEARNED.

Just posting this so maybe someone else can learn from others eperiences.

Again thanx for all the help I get from this site.
    22" Waterway Sand Filter
    1.5 Hp Waterway Motor
    In - Line Chlorinator

9. Back To Top    #9

Glad you posted it, and take heart in that you're not the first, nor will you be the last to hook the hoses up backward. If it can be hooked up wrong, somebody will do it. Even if it can't be hooked up wrong somebody will figure out how to hook it up wrong.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you for posting the true resolution. Upon closer investigation while facing the same issue...I did the same **** thing. It was very nearly the only thing I had to keep straight while cementing in new PVC for my new filter and I mixed up the two. This would also explain why I get a bit of air in the pump housing now and why, when the filter is set to Waste and the pump is off, water still manages to leak out. I'll show myself the door.
    Fairfax, VA - 25,000 Gallon IG Plaster with a Sand Filter

11. Back To Top    #11

OMG! I'm having the exact same problem! I can't wait to get home and check out my plumbing. As embarrassing it might be I really home that's what it is..quick fix! Thanks for posting this.