Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding DE to Hayward Hayward DE6020

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding DE to Hayward Hayward DE6020

I have a Hayward DE6020. When adding DE after a backwash is 12 blue cups the correct amount or is that for a "New" system?? Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Adding DE to Hayward Hayward DE6020

According to the manual a fresh fill on a new filter or after a breakdown and manual cleaning is 7.5 pounds. I have no idea how much a blue cup is. Because backwashing doesn't get it all off, we recommend 80% for the fill, which is 6 pounds. If you have a kitchen or postage scale, that's the best way to measure it out.

As you can see, even several minutes of backwashing didn't remove all the DE from my filter
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Adding DE to Hayward Hayward DE6020

Definitely best to weigh the DE as the weight in the scoop can vary a lot depending on how you pack it. Best I have done is 0.9 pound in the scoop I bought.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!