Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Removing rusted pool top rails

1. Back To Top    #1

Removing rusted pool top rails

Hey everyone,
    I have a Buster Crabb 15 x 24 above ground pool and have to replace the top rails. My question is do I have to drain the pool to do so? One guy at e pool store said no as long as I remove one at a time, another guy said I should drain the pool. The 2 straight rails are about 6 feet in length and the angled pieces are about 3 feet in length. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Removing rusted pool top rails

I wouldn't drain the whole pool. Taking one off and replacing with a new one doesn't sound like a bad idea. Good luck with it and post some pics!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

You won't have to drain any water if you do them one at a time.

The installers that did my pool said they had all the top rails off with a full pool.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Jeff but the pool issue has gotten worse. I drained the pool yesterday and saw it is rusted through at certain areas. It has a beaded liner that is held up by a plastic track. At each end where the tracks butts up against each other, there is a rust spot that has rusted through. I'm waiting for the dealer to call me to see what Buster Crabbe pools will cover under warranty. I had though Buster Crabbe pools was a good brand but I guess I was wrong. The pool is only 7 years old.

5. Back To Top    #5

Sorry to here that ninersfan. Keep us posted and good luck.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

So I wound up getting a new pool wall since most of it was covered under warranty. My concern now is it rusting out again in the same 7 or 8 spots, where the beaded liner tracks butt against each other. Has anyone else ever run into this issue with the tracks?