Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pump, should I replumb, and what?

1. Back To Top    #1

New pump, should I replumb, and what?

Hi all! I'm a new pool owner who bought a house with an existing 16x32 in ground pool with vinyl liner. I made the decision to convert from the old puck system with an IC 40 SWG and upgrade the old pump with an intelliflo. Both of these units have 2", and the original system was pumped using 1 1/2" piping. I am wondering from the general consensus whether I should attempt to replumb the whole thing in 2" or just use reducers to fit the existing 1 1/2" size.

I am also running a s8d110 de filter and heater, which were all plumbed with 1 1/2".

My first inclination is "you dummy, if you want to run 2"' you just can't convert right before the valves, because 1 1/2 is running from the pool itself. You would have to dig everything up and run 2" from the pool entrances or exits", but because a pool company was willing to replumb the whole thing for $3,600, which did include the pump and the SWG, then it must be possible without excavating the whole thing.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, as I have at least a couple of days before I begin the opening process.

18x36 IG vinyl, Sta-Rite S8D110 DE Filter, Intelliflo VS +SVRS, IC40 SWG, 2 skimmers & 1 main, 1 1/2" plumbing, 2" at pad, Aquabot Turbo T

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: New pump, should I replumb, and what?

I would live with the 1.5 and simply get adapters for the pump.

There is no way you would ever see enough benefit from 2" pipe to recover your investment and, because you have a variable pump, you can simply dial it in for your system to operate just fine with the 1.5 inch plumbing.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Re: New pump, should I replumb, and what?

Although if you are working on the pad plumbing, replacing with 2"pipe and fittings can help and just reduce where you need to.

Just not worth trying to dig everything up. The losses are higher in the fittings and turns than all the straight pipe.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!