Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: timer stopped working

1. Back To Top    #1
    Sacramento, CA

timer stopped working

I have an Intermatic pump timer for my pool. I'm guessing the whole pool and pump system is over 20 years old. The timer stopped its not activating the pump anymore. There are actually two for the main and one for a booster pump. The circuit breakers are fine, it sounds like the timer is running like normal, but the dials aren't turning.

Any easy ideas I can try?
    14 x 32 x 6 (ave depth) 20K gallons - IG gunite pool. Challenger 1.5 hp pump and cartridge filter.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Louisiana

Re: timer stopped working

Replacement parts are available for many Intermatic timers, however at that age it may be worth it to replace the whole thing.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

+1 what Isaac said.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

New Jersey

If they are side-by-side, look for an oblong horizontal hole at the very top center of the back plate. You should see gear teeth and they should be moving. If not, it can be fixed with a new motor. Just take the old one to an Intermatic dealer, every town has one. If the gear is moving, you can take it out and look at it, but any fix is going to be low confidence. You can swap just the mechanism, which is cheaper and much easier than swapping the whole thing. For example, if it is a T104 timer, the mechanism alone is a T104M. Just remember to disconnect at the breaker and double check circuit is dead before messing around in there.

Other two-in-one models should also have a place to view if the motors are working.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.