Allen, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I am pulling my hair out on this. My pump motor runs 1/2 hour to even 2 hours and then the breaker trips. It doesn't seem hot and this is happening even at night. It is not getting wet. I cleaned the cartridge filter and have made sure that the back-pressure is low. I don't see and clogs and the flow seems really good.

I have replaced the 30amp breaker. I have replaced the motor (because it was old and noisy and I thought it was the problem). I have checked all the connections I could get to and have tightened them up. None show any signs of scorching or shorting.

I had the cutoff switch turned off and the breaker still tripped. It is a single throw double pole switch. Could it be a bad switch? I guess I should cap the circuit off there and see if it still trips. I really hope it isn't a short in the conduit underground... that would be really bad. How hard are they to pull a new line through?

If I give up on this is it best to call an electrician or a pool company? I would guess a good electrician would be the better pick.

If gfci might need to switch brands or get a new gfci. Gfci in certain brands are more sensitive then others. Try a conventional breaker to test it out. Make sure know one is in the water while this breaker is in place.

JohnT said:
Is it a GFCI breaker?

No it is a regular breaker connected to the pump. The outlet that is there which is tied into the pool light is on a gfci outlet. I have also replaced the breaker with another one of the same ampacity and they both tripped.

Breakers tripping - better to use an electrician.

Breakers are usually tripping for a reason. You might want to go through all the connections from the main panel to your GFCI outlet and on to your pump motor to confirm you have good, solid connections.

scooperhsd said:

Breakers are usually tripping for a reason. You might want to go through all the connections from the main panel to your GFCI outlet and on to your pump motor to confirm you have good, solid connections.

Thanks. I have checked all the connections I could find. Probably missing something somewhere. I am going to try a new switch today to make sure it isn't that and then will likely give up. I am an electrical engineer so I don't yield quickly on these things but if it comes down to running new wire through the conduit I will let a pro handle that.

I understand enough about electrical to be quite dangerous...keep that in mind.

It would seem plausible that, because it takes some time to occur, that debris is (caught/being caught) around the impeller causing the pump to bog down and finally pull enough current to trip the breaker.

joepaiii said:
scooperhsd said:

Thanks. I have checked all the connections I could find. Probably missing something somewhere. I am going to try a new switch today to make sure it isn't that and then will likely give up. I am an electrical engineer so I don't yield quickly on these things but if it comes down to running new wire through the conduit I will let a pro handle that.

The new switch didn't help. Seems like it is an intermittent short in the conduit beneath deck running to pump. It is tripping right away now. When I capped the line before it goes from the house under the decking it isn't tripping. I give up and will be calling an electrician who hopefully is magic at pulling cables through conduit. I don't even want to think about having to run new conduit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.