Hi All. I just had my pool built in June 2012. It is a 24k gal, plaster pool with DE filter, Fusion Nature2 chlorinator and Jandy 1.5HP single speed pump. Maintained it all last year based on Leslie's Pool advice prior to me finding this website. I still have 50lbs of Chlorine pucks and a 5gal tub of their shock to finish up before I go with BBB method. I did purchase the T100 test kit as advised by this forum.
So I removed the cover today to a somewhat cloudy pool. Had a Melin Smart mesh safety cover. I would not call it green as I could see the bottom of the pool but it had lots of pine needles and some leaves and dirt in it. I got the pump and filter running. I put in the DE and then I tested the water:
pH: above 8.2 (told it was high because it is a new plaster pool and will be high for a couple of years)
FC: didn't bother testing
CYA: 73? need to retest tomorrow seems to have jumped pretty high from last year
Temp: 62 degrees
1. Should I vaccuum the pool before I start to shock it?
2. Can I use the Power Powder Plus from Leslies to shock? Don't want to waste it.
3. Do I need to get the PH down before I shock?
Now for the other problem. Looks like when I had the safety cover installed, one of the anchors punctured my return pipe. So I have the the shallow end returns shut off. Will this be a problem? I have the deep end return and I turned on the cleaner pipe to circulate the water better. Other than this, my questions is who should be responsible for fixing my problem, the safety cover guy or the pool builder. I called the safety cover guy and he told me that he used 15" anchors which means that the pool builder had the pipes to hi. he is saying it is the pool builders fault and i should go after them. Has any one had this problem?
Thanks in advance...