Water movement in skimmer question

May 14, 2013
I am trying to sort out a suction side air leak. I have read about the "vortex in skimmer" issue meaning water is too low. My water seems high enough, but in my deep end skimmer I get very circular movement of water that I would not quite classify as a "vortex". Is this normal, or is this what is referred to as a "vortex". Will water move circularly in a skimmer normally?

Also I have a Jandy Check valve. If it is working correctly. shouldn't I not lose prime when the pump is off?

Is it normal when you remove the skimmer pot lid for the water to rush out of the basket?

When the skimmer is drawing in air you will see an obvious "tornado" of water being drawn down into the skimmer. A bit of circular motion is normal.

You should not lose prime when the pump is off regardless of check valve or no check valve. Meanwhile, an air leak will cause you to lose prime, again regardless of check valve or no check valve. The purpose of a check valve before the pump is to make it easier to get prime back once you have lost it.

Having the pump drain the moment you open the lid is common enough.

Thank you.

Ok that clears it up for me about the air leak and check valve.

So if I understood you correctly, it is normal for the water to flow out of the top of the pot when I take the lid off to clean the hair/lint strainer? Is the water coming from the filter or just the pump?

Not always, but with a check valve on the suction side of your pump, you can probably move the multiport valve to "closed" and then open the pump strainer lid without losing much water.

Is your pump level is below your pool water level? I have a raised spa, and if I open the spa suction line while the lid is off the pump, then water will overflow the basket. Normally when I open the lid, only the pool suction line is open and the basket will drain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.