May 17, 2013
I have a complete Jandy system (pump, filter, chlorinator, MX8 cleaner) for a 14000 gallon custom built pool completed July of 2012. This system has had issues from the beginning and I would appreciate any insight or advice that can be offered. I'm far from having any kind of pool knowledge and I'm just a new pool owner. The system has the AquaPure Ei series chlorinator and a 1.5HP Model FHPM series pump. The system was wired with a single manual timer to the pump for low speed. It has a manual switch for the high speed function of the pump. The Ei Pure system is wired hot and always stays on. The pool water has always stayed clear and the water has always tested fine except for showing low chlorine. The main problem is that the chlorinator excessively scales. Jandy replaced it once and within a week it crusted over again with a thick white scale. The water tests fine… tested by Jandy, the builder, pool stores. Now the scale has started to appear in the pool. The solution being offered now is to rewire the system so that the pump/chlorinator/timer works on high. The feeling is that a higher flow rate will fix this problem. Typically the pool runs 8 hours a day on low, with the chlorinator set at different outputs depending on the time of year. I don’t know how increasing the flow will matter? The flow rate in the manual has a max. but no min. GPM? Won’t we just loose the efficiency of the two speed pump? Anyone have any solutions, feedback, comments?

14000 gallons, IG (in ground), gunite/sunstone, cartridge, 1.5HP two speed pump, pool built 7/2012, waterfall, two spa jets

Welcome to tfp, poolowner12 :wave:

poolowner12 said:
Now the scale has started to appear in the pool. The solution being offered now is to rewire the system so that the pump/chlorinator/timer works on high. The feeling is that a higher flow rate will fix this problem.
If you are having scale then your pool chemistry needs to change...flow rate will not help this.

In order for us to help you we will need a full set of test results. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/read_before_you_post

FC - Free Chlorine- 1
CC - Combined Chlorine-1
pH – 8
TA - Total Alkalinity- 100
CH - Calcium Hardness- 200
CYA - Cyanuric Acid (stabilizer) - 60
Salt- 3600

These are as of 5/18. The FC is low and I have increased the output on the Ei system.

There is a gray grit in the pool filter. There is also a gritty film on the entire pool. On the tiles at the waterline and on the cleaner hose, etc. One opinion is that the pool finish did not cure properly. It is made by Sunstone. The pool builder provided pool service for the first few months. The opinion is that the pool surface is breaking down and that's the source of the problem.

The water tests fine… tested by Jandy, the builder, pool stores.
Not really. A pH of 8.0 is too high and the leading cause of scaling conditions. Read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School and get your water chemistry within those suggested guidelines.

OK. Thanks for the feedback and I will get the PH down a bit as you recommend.

I had a brand new chlorinator installed by the manufacture last friday. By the following monday the chlorinator, which is in a clear capsule so it is visible during operation, was completely scaled over like it was packed with snow. The water is not perfect and I am no more than a new pool owner; however, the levels are not extreme to the point that they should produce the reactions we are seeing in the chlorinator, filter, surface of the pool. Correct? When I clean the chlorinator, it fills right back up with the pool snow ; )

the levels are not extreme to the point that they should produce the reactions we are seeing in the chlorinator, filter, surface of the pool. Correct?
Dunno. pH could be higher than 8.0 Move your pH to 7.2, which can be done in 30 minutes) and see what happens. Even if nothing happens, you should be down around there, anyway.

Re: Scale

Would anyone know if scale builds up all over a pool at once or just in spots, say the waterline? Still working with the builder to figure this out.

There is a rough texture all over the pool. Wondering how to clean it or what to ask the builder to do.

FC- 4PPM
PH- 7.8PPM
TA- 110 PPM
CH- 210 PPM
CYA- 60PPM
Salt- 3600PPM

14000 gallons, IG (in ground), gunite/sunstone, cartridge, 1.5HP two speed pump, pool built 7/2012, waterfall, two spa jets

Calcium scale generally occurs throughout the pool causing the roughness not just at the water line ... that is often due to a lot of evaporation.

Although your current numbers do not point to that problem. But, if you left the pH at 8+ for a long time over the winter, it could have happened.

That would not contribute to the roughness throughout the pool. You need to either brush a lot while keeping your pH in check or do an acid wash if it is indeed calcium scaling.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.