1. Back To Top    #1

Help me clear my water

FC- .5
    TA- 80
    pH- 7.0
    CH- 270
    CYA- 40
    phosphates 300

My pool water is cloudy, not green, just cloudy for a week. Been running the filter 24/day, added 4 gallons of chlorine liquid on Tuesday, 5 pounds of shock on Wednesday, still cloudy on Friday. Just added 5 pounds of pH plus....

What do I do now?

33K gal, IG plaster, 1.5HP pump, Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge 100GPM, polaris sweeper

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: Help me clear my water

Welcome to the forum.

You need to be more consistent with your chlorine. Allowing it to drop as low as 0.5ppm allows algae to get a foothold and can make it difficult to maintain chlorine levels. If you'll check out the Chlorine CYA Chart you'll see that you should never let your chlorine drop below 3ppm, and your shock level is 16ppm. Since your water isn't clear, you should be keeping your chlorine as close to shock level as you can at all times. That's going to require several tests a day, adding chlorine as required.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Howell, NJ

Re: Help me clear my water

Since you have a phosphate number, I'm going to guess those are pool store results? If so, you need your own test kit. The link is in my signature. Once you get your test kit, you will need to follow the shock process (also in my signature).
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.