Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New IG Liner research begins....

1. Back To Top    #1

New IG Liner research begins....

My liner has got its last bandaid that hopefully will last through this swim season starting to look into estimates and types of liners and have a few questions maybe some folks can chime in on....

1. Been told the best time to replace is spring time when temps and sun is warming up in the 70's??

2. Looking at Latham super max 27mil liners right now, anyone have any bad or good experiences with them??

3. Any other major/minor things that should be looked at or replaced at this time while the pool will be empty??

4. Going to have a pool contractor do it , what's typically included in this type of work or what potentially is an "extra" as I've seen in the past with other construction work??

24,000 Gallon Vinyl Grecian IG,Triton2 Sand Filter / Pentair Super Flo 1 HP Dual Speed Pump ,
    Stenner Peristaltic Pump Injection w/15 gal drum,Stubbed up supply/return for future solar panels :)
    TF100 Rocks !! Pool School....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New IG Liner research begins....

Nobody out there has changed/upgraded a liner in the past I guess??

24,000 Gallon Vinyl Grecian IG,Triton2 Sand Filter / Pentair Super Flo 1 HP Dual Speed Pump ,
    Stenner Peristaltic Pump Injection w/15 gal drum,Stubbed up supply/return for future solar panels :)

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't know the brand you are speaking about, but I do suggest getting a good quality 27 mil liner, in my experience it varies some with the installer, but most I have talked to over the years around here include removal and replacement of the liner as well as minor patching, etc. I was just in a local pool store that does a lot of pool maintenance work, and asked for a quote on liner replacement even though I hope to get a few more years out of mine. Quote was $2,000 for 27 mil liner (did not catch the brand name) and $1,100 for installation, I did say that I thought the liner would last out the season, so they may have given me off season installation price. I have never had this guy do any work for me, but he seems to talk the talk.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the reply, I just got a price for everything installed for $2500, including some leveling work if needed in the deep end and side walls and all new gaskets and plastics at all penetration points (skimmer, returns, MD) didn't think that was a bad price at all....

Now I just have to limp through this season and I'll be ready to replace next spring

5. Back To Top    #5

Anyone have any pros/cons or just plain ole' preference as to a lighter or darker liner? The one that's getting replace is very light (mostly faded) and you can definitely see ANY debris very quickly on the floor but then again the water looks great to,we are sort of leaning towards a darker blue? Just thought I would see what other folks liked or regretted after choosing a specific shade for themselves...

6. Back To Top    #6

Had my liner replaced last season for 3K

It included:
    removal/disposal of old liner
    new 27 mil liner and installation
    minor patchwork of the pool base
    new fixtures and framing around steps
    plus addition of CYA and chlorine

I went with darker blue tile print on a blue based liner and have been very happy with it.
    18 X 36, 29 K gallon, Sand Filter, Inground Vinyl Lined, 3/4 HP pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks...that what we are currently looking at as well...a darker blue liner and was told the darker colors are blue all the way through (slows the fading a lot)compared to the lighter ones that are typically white on the back side of it....and same on the Thickness to 27mil

8. Back To Top    #8

So I have it somewhat set up to have my liner replaced next spring with a local installer and just recently he mentioned after the new liner is in I should not have my FC above 3ppm because it will definitely bleach out the liner prematurely?? I currently run my FC levels between 4 and 6 ppm 4 at the very minimum (CYA at 40-50 typically) ...I can't see it being that much of a dramatic difference from 3 to a 6max ppm level that it would bleach/lighten the liner any faster??
    Any thoughts/comments??

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

I should not have my FC above 3ppm because it will definitely bleach out the liner prematurely??
    I doubt he understands the buffering affect of CYA.

With CYA in your pool, FC even at SLAM value will have no effect on your liner, new or old.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for the reply, that's kinda what I was thinking as well, great to here the confirmation from yourself