Need a little help opening pool / balancing water

May 30, 2012
Allentown, PA
Just opened today. I can see down about 2 feet and the water has a nice greenish tint. Reminds me of when my pool contractor told me that with this new solid winter cover I'll just pop it off and the water will look perfect. What do you expect he worked for the pool store.
FC 0
PH 7.0
TA 80
CYA 0
CH 110

Not sure what order I should go about attacking this, and what I should add. The good news I have lots of bleach :cool: :cool:
Thanks for the help.

Did you get your test results with the pump running? If not, go ahead and fill it (if it needs it) and then start the pump up. Circulate the water for at least 30 minutes and then test. Adjust pH to between 7.2 and 7.4 first, add enough CYA to get you to 30, and then shock your pool. You are finished shocking when your FC holds to withing 1 ppm or less of FC overnight, your CC is no more than 0.5 ppm, and your water is clear. :goodjob:

doublewide6 said:
Thanks for the quick response. The pump has been running for 3 hours, so I think my water is mixed. I'll let you know how I'm making out.
What he said. And if it's not too late, don't just dump the CYA in the skimmer. If you need to backwash during the shock oprocess you might lose it all, and we're about saving money here.

I brought up the ph and added CYA in socks in the skimmer. I only had 4lbs. of cya that should bring me to 20ppm. Can anyone tell me how much one triclor puck raises cya in a 20,000 pool? I'm thinking about adding a floater with a few trichlor pucks to raise cya to 30ppm. I can't figure out how to do it using the pool calc. Thanks again

So this morning I worked on getting the pool clear. I added lots of bleach, but it was not registering for my FC tests (only 15 min. after adding bleach). So I kept adding bleach and testing. Finally, I made progress and registered my FC at 8ppm. I brought it up to 20ppm to make sure it stays there. I guess all the scum in the pool is eating away my bleach quickly. Just wondering if the cya chart in pool school is made for a pool that has been closed and now just opened. It seems to me the chart is underestimating how much bleach needs to be used, so I usually shoot for a level or 2 higher as my target when I open my pool. Is this common?

What was your CYA level when you closed? With it being at zero when you opened, ammonia might be in your water. Chlorine will be absorbed almost instantly to get rid of the ammonia. There are a couple of other threads with the same problem and you can search those threads to get more insight. Since you are starting to hold the FC, you should have eliminated most of the ammonia already.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So it has been 5 and a half days since opening the pool. The pool is looking better everyday. I added 4 lbs. of CYA enough to raise my CYA to 20 and also 5 triclor pucks to the pool (I also added some washing soda to keep my ph around 7.3) All the cya dissolved from the socks. I just tested CYA today and it is still registering less than 30ppm. I did notice the water sample for the cya test was at least slightly cloudy for this test but definitely not registering 30ppm. I have come to the conclusion that I may have had ammonia in the water when the pool was opened. I added the cya in socks and squeezed the socks each day when I checked the skimmers. Should the cya be registering by now? Should I add more cya, and if so, how much?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.