Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: repairing holes in filter grid - gridsock? Water Weld?

1. Back To Top    #1

repairing holes in filter grid - gridsock? Water Weld?

4 elements in my Hayward de4800 have holes. I thought there was only one (based on the person who closed my pool), but upon taking apart, i found 4 with holes. I looked for a full series of 8 grids and then came across these on ebay..They are basically replacement fabric for the grids - which is funny because I was thinking about how wasteful it would be to throw out all that undamaged plastic just because the cover had a hole Looks like they zip up to close (altho i have a msg out to the seller for clarification). Has anyone ever used these??? ... 3f03b023e3

Also, I read on the forums here that someone uses a product called water weld and a glue gun. posted here: guide-to-cleaning-and-repairing-a-de-filter-grid-mesh-t36948.html?hilit=grid%20repair
    Has anyone else tried this - how long did it last?

Thanks -
    25,000 gallon gunite pool with waterfall (built 2000 - owner as of 2009), Aerotemp / Aquacal heat pump AT12000-A, Hayward DE4800 Filter, AOS UST1202 Motor, Hydro-King T104P201 Timer, Meyco pool cover, Pentair Model 320 Auto Chlorine Feeder. Located in Massachusetts.

2. Back To Top    #2

Flower Mound, TX

Re: repairing holes in filter grid - gridsock? Water Weld?

I've never heard of patching a DE grid before. I guess it's possible. Looking to see other responses here.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: repairing holes in filter grid - gridsock? Water Weld?

My brother in law patched a split DE grid once. He sewed it up with needle and dental floss, then coated the whole area with RTV gasket maker. Sure, he lost 2 or 3 square inches of filter area, but it held up for a season until the filter got replaced.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!