As of today tests,
    FC 3.8
    Cc 0
    PH 8.0
    TA 180
    CH 170
    Cya 40
    Salt 2800
    So with that I have a few questions. I am in the process of lowering my TA. I added muriatic acid to drop PH and will then aerate with swg and deck jets. I added cya to raise that. I used pool calculator to figure out dosage. My questions are my auto pilot digital says salt level is 3400 but my testing gives me 2800. Why is my swg so far off. And should I add salt. Also should I try to lower my calcium or just let it ride. I have a vinyl pool. Thank you for your input.
    Ryan
    23k gal, IG, vinyl, Pentair sand filter, 1 hp single speed pump, pool pilot digital swg, Hayward sharkvac. Built May 2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Saltwater reading and testing

What are you using to check your salt levels? If you have the Taylor K-1766 test, I would trust that result over what your SWCG system says.

As long as you keep your pH within appropriate range, your CH shouldn't be an issue.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes I'm using th Taylor test kit and once I get my TA in check I will keep my PH more stable. Thank you for response.
    23k gal, IG, vinyl, Pentair sand filter, 1 hp single speed pump, pool pilot digital swg, Hayward sharkvac. Built May 2013

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Leave your CH alone. It is fine and there is no need to reduce it. Nice work on using the correct procedure for lowering TA.......of course, keep the pH down in the 7's when you are finished with the TA lowering process.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

If you are not having any problems with the SWG making chlorine, then I would leave the SWG alone. I have the Taylor test kit and my numbers have varied by 400 with that test. The number that matters is what the SWG says, and when that number is giving you problems is when you need to use the Taylor test to verify the salt content.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process