Spa draining overnight - have checked valves - what now?

haleytd

LifeTime Supporter
May 17, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I've been struggling with the spa draining into the pool overnight (when the pump is off) for a month or so now. I'm not adding any water, so I don't think it's a leak. The spa return line has a Pentair check valve that is glued-in. I thought my piping "looked" good, but now I see that they glued everything with no space to cut out parts and glue in new parts with unions.

My pool is only a year old, so I went back to the pool company to request service. The guy came out and installed a Jandy check valve on a vertical downward flow orientation, which the instruction sheet clearly illustrates as a WRONG installation. Nevertheless, with the two checks in series, I thought maybe this would help. It did not.

Supposedly they came back out yesterday, although I have not been able to get them to tell me what they did. I assumed they were going to inspect the automated return and drain valves. I noticed my spillover flow was much lower than before, so I think that's what they did, but the spa still drained overnight.

I can work on this myself, but I was trying to make "them" fix it. I'm running short on patience now, so I have a few questions. If I find out that the valves checked-out ok, and if I believe that I don't have reverse flow through two check valves in series, what is the next step?

Each morning the level is still above the jets (fed from the spa return). I don't know if it stops draining at that point, or whether it just drains that much in 8 hours. I'm thinking about draining it down beneath the jets and leaving the pump off. My thought process is that if the leak is on the "return side", the level won't drop further. If it's on the "drain" side, the level will continue to drop. Is this sound reasoning?

I also read about air leaks being a potential source of this problem. Can someone explain how this works? I clean my pump basket weekly, and I "think" the basket used to stay full of water while I cleaned the strainer, but it drains pretty quickly now. If that's true, is this a clue that something is leaking on the "drain" side?

Thanks for any help!

Welcome to the forum.

Can you post a picture of your equipment pad? That might help with troubleshooting.

New to the forum. Can't believe it but I have the EXACT same problem which also started about a month ago, at first I thought it was a leak (my pool is about 4 years old) but after measuring the level of the pool and the spa, I discovered that there was no leak, the spa was draining into the pool. Also thought it might have been because I had a leaking solar panel, hadn't been using the solar system, and that panel was replaced yesterday, still the water level in the spa drops each evening and water level in pool raises. The level only drops so far and then stops (again, I checked the spa at the level it stopped, no leaks). The water level when it drops is alway several inches above the spa jets. Pics attached. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 121
Ok, so last evening I adjusted the solenoid valve on the spa jets so that I can close it completely. Previously it was adjusted to partial open and completely open. I closed the valve manually last eve and no water loss from the spa. So, what changed so that recently water is flowing through the spa jets into the pool? Is there a way to correct this? Manually adjusting the solenoid valve each evening and morning kinda defeats the purpose of the valve. Do they make a solenoid valve that has 3 settings, full open, partially open and closed? Solenoid valve in bottom of pic going into SWG is the spa jet valve
Thanks

Ok, I also have Pentair check valves, like yours, the valves "looked" good. Today I took one apart and discovered it was just about disintegrating, poor product on Pentair's part. I ordered rebuild kits to replace all three Pentair check valves, part number 263042Z, this is for a 2 inch line. The flapper on the rebuild kit looks like its been redesigned to be sturdier. Hope this helps

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.