Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best method for adding Calcium Hardness increaser

1. Back To Top    #1

Best method for adding Calcium Hardness increaser

I have the powdered form of Calcium Hardness increaser. Last test showed CH at 170. I'd like to bump it to 200, which according to the calculator will take 64 oz. by weight.

What is the best way to add the calcium? Broadcast it across the surface and brush, sock method like CYA?

FYI, other numbers are:

FC - 10 (needed to add salt this morning so I bumped it on the way out with bleach, little too high on my guess...)
    CC - 0
    TA - 80
    CYA - 55 (calculated based on addition) waiting to test in a couple of days to bump a little higher ~70.
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit
    Pool School, Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best method for adding Calcium Hardness increaser

There really is no reason (typically) to raise the calcium level in your vinyl lined pool.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

The only reason I'm concerned are the specs for the SWG and the heater which want the CH level from 200 - 400. If it's not going to hurt anything I'll leave it, just didn't want to cause any potential issues with that equipment.
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Other than that, do the rest of the numbers, other than the FC needing to drop, look good? I'm keeping the FC elevated for a few days in hopes that some stains on the bottom will disappear.

5. Back To Top    #5

It won't hurt anything. Both the swg and the heater actually benefit from low CH. The only issue may you may have is if you are still under warranty for those components...are you?

The rest of you numbers are looking good.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

No warranty left. I'll leave it alone.

Just so I know though, how do you add the Calcium, best method?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by joshs2000ss
    No warranty left. I'll leave it alone.

Just so I know though, how do you add the Calcium, best method?
    The secret is hidden within Pool School.

But I'll give you a hint. pool-school/recommended_pool_chemicals
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks. Sorry for not finding that myself. I was searching forums instead of just looking to the main source...

9. Back To Top    #9

The best method for adding calcium hardness is to bring a tanker over to my house and fill it up with water from my pool. I am draining it again because of high CH. I will be glad when it cures.
    12000 GAL Total Pool & Spa-1000 GAL Spa/IG/Exposed aggregate/Cartridge CC200/Pentair VS-3050 (174 GPM max.)/SWG-Pentair Intellichlor IC-40/Pentair EasyTouch4/ "The Pool Cleaner"/Screened Enclosure/ Taylor K-2006C Test Kit.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by FLHOKIE
    The best method for adding calcium hardness is to bring a tanker over to my house and fill it up with water from my pool. I am draining it again because of high CH. I will be glad when it cures.
    I'm at 875. Can you beat that?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!